Calc physics vs. algebra physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between algebra-based and calculus-based physics courses and whether one would be at a disadvantage for not having prior knowledge of physics. It is agreed that starting with a calculus-based course may be more challenging, but resources such as "Physics for mystified dummies and idiots" books can help bridge the gap. It is also noted that calculus-based courses do not typically require prior knowledge of physics.
starchild75
Hi, all

I have never taken a physics course before, but i find it interesting, and may want to major in it. If I start with calc based physics after taking calc 1, what would I be missing from algebra physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing, go the calculus way.

Nothing that you couldn't pick up in a week with one of those "Physics for mystified dummies and idiots" type books (hey, I didn't come up with the titles). https://www.amazon.com/dp/0880292512/?tag=pfamazon01-20 you could probably read very quickly, and that wouldn't look embarassing on your shelf.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you know cal already, go to the cal base.
if you are starting simutaneously, it would be very hard to learn both

a calc based physics course usually doesn't require that you know anything about physics when you go into it, so you should be fine

1. What is the difference between calc physics and algebra physics?

Calc physics and algebra physics are both branches of physics that use mathematical principles to describe and analyze physical phenomena. However, calc physics uses higher level calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals, while algebra physics relies on algebraic equations and formulas.

2. Which one is more difficult, calc physics or algebra physics?

This is subjective and depends on the individual's mathematical strengths and weaknesses. Some may find calc physics more challenging due to the use of advanced calculus concepts, while others may struggle with the abstract nature of algebra physics. Ultimately, both branches require a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills.

3. Can I take calc physics without prior knowledge of calculus?

No, calc physics builds upon the principles of calculus and requires a strong understanding of its concepts and techniques. It is recommended to have a solid foundation in calculus before taking calc physics.

4. Are there any real-world applications for calc physics and algebra physics?

Yes, both branches of physics have numerous real-world applications. Calc physics is often used in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and physics research, while algebra physics is commonly applied in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics.

5. Which one should I take, calc physics or algebra physics?

This depends on your interests and career goals. If you are interested in pursuing a career in a field that heavily utilizes calculus, then calc physics may be a better choice. If you prefer a more concrete and practical approach to physics, then algebra physics may be a better fit. It is also possible to take both courses to gain a well-rounded understanding of physics.