• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Courses Is there much difference between algebra- and calculus-based physics

I’m in an honors calc-based physics 1 course at my college and I can’t audibly understand my professor. I tried looking for tutorials online, but I have no idea if what I’m looking at is calc-based physics or alg-based physics, and I don’t want to learn the wrong methods. Is there a difference in how problems are solved between the two? I don’t know what resources are teaching the same method to solve problems as my class does, as most resources online don’t explicity state whether they’re calculus or algebra based.

jtbell

Mentor
At the schools where I’ve studied and taught (in the US), calculus in first semester intro physics courses is used mainly for conceptual purposes and to simplify derivations. Most homework and test problems are similar to those in algebra/trig based courses.

I’m in an honors calc-based physics 1 course at my college and I can’t audibly understand my professor. I tried looking for tutorials online, but I have no idea if what I’m looking at is calc-based physics or alg-based physics, and I don’t want to learn the wrong methods. Is there a difference in how problems are solved between the two? I don’t know what resources are teaching the same method to solve problems as my class does, as most resources online don’t explicity state whether they’re calculus or algebra based.
The fundamental concepts will be the same in both courses. At a basic level, algebraic physics will most likely express some formulae (e.g. velocity) as:
[tex] v = \frac{\Delta s}{\Delta t} [/tex]
where a calculus-based physics course would write that as:
[tex] v = \frac{ds}{dt} [/tex]

As you can see the fundamental concepts will be the same in both classes, however one will deal with the concepts in greater mathematical rigour (you can probably spot the difference that way). I also assume that you would be using integrals in calc based course (not sure how far into calculus you go).

To answer your question, I would say that it depends on the problem. For example, in projectile motion for algebraic physics, you will probably assume constant acceleration; on the other hand, calculus physics will introduce you to drag forces which require integration to solve (please note, I can only speculate).

Hope that helps.

kuruman

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
You are in a calculus-based physics course now. You must have observed that some problems are treated with just algebra and trig and some with calculus. Of the calculus-treated problems, some could have also been treated with just algebra, although in a more circuitous manner. It takes some expertise and experience to decide whether an example based solely on algebra could have been done more easily with calculus. So for your purposes, I would say that if you see derivatives and integrals in a solution or derivation, you may assume that it is calculus based, else that it is both calculus and algebra based.

In my experience, there is little difference between the two types of intro classes.