Calculate a vector wich forma an angle alpha with another vector

In summary, we need to calculate a vector that forms an angle \alpha with a given 2D vector \vec{u}. The equations for finding this vector involve solving for the components u_x and u_y, and there are an infinite number of possible solutions with different lengths. To simplify the problem, we can look for a unit vector with a length of 1.
germangb

Homework Statement

Looks very simple, but I need help.
I have a 2D vector, v, and I need to calculate a vector which forms an angle [itex]\alpha[/itex] with it.

Thank you very much

Homework Equations

I think that the equations should be, for 2 given vector u and v:
\dpi{150}%20\vec{v}%20\cdot%20\vec{u}%20=%20|\vec{v}|%20\cdot%20|\vec{u}|%20\cdot%20cos%20\alpha.png

png.latex?\dpi{150}%20\vec{v}%20\cdot%20\vec{u}%20=%20v_x%20\cdot%20u_x%20+%20v_y%20\cdot%20u_y.png

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are, of course, an infinite number of such vectors- of different lengths as well as on either side of u. If you are given vector [itex]\vec{u}= u_x\vec{i}+ u_y\vec{j}[/itex], taking [itex]\vec{v}= v_x\vec{i}+ v_y\vec{v}[/itex], then we must have, as you say, [itex]v_xu_x+ v_yu_v= \sqrt{u_x^2+ u_y^2}cos(\alpha)[/itex].

There is no "[itex]\sqrt{v_x^2+ v_y^2}[/itex]" in that because I have decided, for simplicity, to look for a unit vector making angle [itex]\alpha[/itex] with [itex]\vec{u}[/itex]. And, of course, that means that [itex]v_x^2+ v_y^2= 1[/itex].

Solve those two equations for [itex]u_x[/itex] and [itex]u_y[/itex].

thanks for the help, HallsofIvy, now I see my error. I wasn't using the second equation

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by a line with an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector.

2. How is the angle between two vectors calculated?

The angle between two vectors can be calculated using the dot product formula: θ = cos^-1 (a · b / |a||b|), where a and b are the two vectors and |a| and |b| represent their magnitudes.

3. What is the purpose of finding a vector with a specific angle?

Calculating a vector with a specific angle allows us to determine the direction and magnitude of a force or movement, which can be useful in various scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation.

4. Can the angle between two vectors be negative?

No, the angle between two vectors is always positive. However, the direction of the angle can be clockwise or counterclockwise depending on the orientation of the vectors.

5. Are there any special cases when calculating a vector with a specific angle?

Yes, there are three special cases: when the angle is 0 degrees, the vector is parallel to the other vector; when the angle is 90 degrees, the vector is perpendicular to the other vector; and when the angle is 180 degrees, the vector is in the opposite direction of the other vector.