Cosine question. Scalar product.

In summary, The angle between two vectors \vec{v} and \vec{w} can be found by taking the inverse cosine of the dot product of the two vectors, which will result in either a positive or a negative value. A negative value indicates that the angle between the vectors is greater than 90 degrees, and the two possible angles are symmetrical about a line through one of the vectors. When using a calculator to find the angle using the inverse cosine function, it is important to consider whether the angle is from [0,\pi] or from [-\pi,\pi]. The desired angle is usually the smaller one.
LagrangeEuler

Homework Statement

Find angle between vectors if
[tex]\cos\alpha=-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} [/tex][/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Because cosine is negative I think that [tex]\alpha=\frac{5\pi}{6}[/tex]. But also it could be angle [tex]\alpha=\frac{7\pi}{6}[/tex]. Right? When I search angle between vectors I do not need to write [tex]+2k\pi[/tex] where [tex]k[/tex] is integer. Right? Thanks for the answer.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say you're right. The dot product of two unit vectors giving a negative cosine just means the angle between them is greater than 90 degrees and if you look at a diagram of the two possible angles you'll see they are symmetrical about a line thru one of the vectors.

Maybe only is important to look arccos as function? So answer is only [tex]\alpha=\frac{5\pi}{6}[/tex]?
So if I look at calculator is [tex]\alpha=arccos(...)[/tex] is this [tex]\alpha[/tex] angle from [tex][0,\pi][/tex] or from [tex][-\pi,\pi][/tex].

Last edited:
LagrangeEuler said:
Maybe only is important to look arccos as function? So answer is only [tex]\alpha=\frac{5\pi}{6}[/tex]?
Looks fine to me. If you have two rays that emanate from the same point, two angles are determined- a smaller one and a larger one (I'm assuming here that the two rays don't point in exactly opposite directions). For problems asking about the angle between the two rays, they're usually interested in the smaller of the two angles.

1. What is the cosine function in mathematics?

The cosine function is a trigonometric function that relates the ratio of the adjacent side of a right triangle to its hypotenuse. It is defined as the ratio of the length of the adjacent side to the length of the hypotenuse.

2. How is cosine used in science?

Cosine is used in science, particularly in physics and engineering, to describe the relationship between two vectors. It is commonly used in calculations involving force, motion, and energy.

3. What is the difference between cosine and sine?

Both cosine and sine are trigonometric functions, but they have different definitions. While cosine represents the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, sine represents the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle.

4. What is a scalar product?

A scalar product, also known as a dot product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar quantity. It is defined as the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

5. How is the scalar product related to the cosine function?

The scalar product is closely related to the cosine function because it involves taking the cosine of the angle between two vectors. The magnitude of the scalar product is the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.