Solving 3D Vector Equation for ##\vec{y}##

• Thread starter Robin04
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Vector
In summary: Read more)(Read less)In summary, the conversation involved solving a vector equation for a specified vector and two linearly independent vectors in three-dimensional space. The conversation also discussed the attempt at a solution and a potential mistake in the computation of a variable, which was resolved by realizing that it must be equal to zero. The conversation also involved a demonstration of how to solve the equation for the specified vector by expressing it as a linear combination of the given vectors.
Robin04

Homework Statement

Solve the following vector equation for ##\vec{y}##. ##\vec{a}##, and ##\vec{b}## are linearly independent vectors of the three dimensional space.

##\vec{a} \times (8\vec{y}+\vec{b}) = \vec{b}\times(-5\vec{y}+\vec{a})##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I developed the brackets
##\vec{a}\times8\vec{y}+\vec{a}\times\vec{b} = \vec{b}\times(-5\vec{y})+\vec{b}\times\vec{a}##
I subtracted ##\vec{b}\times(-5\vec{y})## and ##\vec{a}\times\vec{b}## from both sides, so I get
##\vec{a}\times8\vec{y}-\vec{b}\times(-5\vec{y})=\vec{b}\times\vec{a}-\vec{a}\times\vec{b}## which also equals to
##\vec{y}\times(-8\vec{a}-5\vec{b}) = 2\vec{b}\times\vec{a}##

Then I expressed ##\vec{y}## as the linear combination of ##\vec{a}##, ##\vec{b}## and ##\vec{b}\times\vec{a}##
##\vec{y} = \alpha\vec{a}+\beta\vec{b}+\gamma\vec{b}\times\vec{a}## then I multiplied it (cross product) with ##-8\vec{a}-5\vec{b}##
##\vec{y}\times(-8\vec{a}-5\vec{b}) = -8\alpha(\vec{a}\times\vec{a})-5\alpha(\vec{a}\times\vec{b})-8\beta(\vec{b}\times\vec{a})-5\beta(\vec{b}\times\vec{b}) + \gamma(\vec{b}\times\vec{a})\times(-8\vec{a}-5\vec{b})##
##=(5\alpha-8\beta)(\vec{b}\times\vec{a})-8\gamma[\vec{a}(\vec{b}\vec{a})-\vec{b}(\vec{a}\vec{a})]-5\gamma[\vec{a}(\vec{b}\vec{b})-\vec{b}(\vec{a}\vec{b})]##
From the equation this has to be equal to ##2\vec{b}\times\vec{a}## so ##5\alpha-8\beta = 2## and ##\gamma = 0##

But if I make up an arbitrary ##\vec{y}## vector of this form and choose random ##\vec{a}## and ##\vec{b}## (linearly independent of course) it doesn't satisfy the equation. Where did I mess up?

Physics news on Phys.org
So if ##\gamma = 0 ## then doesn't that mean that ##\vec{y}## is a linear combination of ##\vec{a}## and ##\vec{b}## ?

When I computed it it seemed that ##\gamma## can be anything since the resultant ##\gamma## component term vectors are both perpendicular to ##\vec{a}## x ##\vec{b}##

jedishrfu said:
So if ##\gamma = 0 ## then doesn't that mean that ##\vec{y}## is a linear combination of ##\vec{a}## and ##\vec{b}## ?

When I computed it it seemed that ##\gamma## can be anything since the resultant ##\gamma## component term vectors are both perpendicular to ##\vec{a}## x ##\vec{b}##
How did you get that ##\gamma## can be anything?

Both a and b are perpendicular to a x b , right? Assuming that neither a nor b are the zero vector.

Yes

so their cross products are zero and thus ##\gamma## can be any value, right?

Did you test it by choosing an a and b vector, construct a y vector and evaluate your original equation?

Perhaps there's a mistake in the check...

Let ##\vec{a} =
\begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
1 \\
1 \\
\end{bmatrix},
\vec{b} =
\begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
2 \\
1 \\
\end{bmatrix},
\vec{y} =
\begin{bmatrix}
2 \\
1 \\
0 \\
\end{bmatrix},
\vec{y}## has to be a good choice because ##5\cdot 2 - 8\cdot1 = 2##, and ##\vec{a},\vec{b}## are independendent.
##-8\vec{a}-5\vec{b}=
\begin{bmatrix}
-13 \\
-18 \\
-13 \\
\end{bmatrix}, \vec{y}\times(-8\vec{a}-5\vec{b}) =
\begin{bmatrix}
-13 \\
26 \\
-23 \\
\end{bmatrix}
##, but ##2\vec{b}\times\vec{a} =
\begin{bmatrix}
2 \\
0 \\
-2 \\
\end{bmatrix}
##

Wouldn't you compute y from the the ##\alpha, \beta, \gamma## values and the a and b vectors? and then show that a, b and y satisfy the original formula?

Robin04 said:
##\vec{y}## has to be a good choice because ##5\cdot 2 - 8\cdot1 = 2##
If ##\alpha = 2## and ##\beta=1##, then you have the wrong ##\vec{y}##.

jedishrfu said:
Wouldn't you compute y from the the ##\alpha, \beta, \gamma## values and the a and b vectors? and then show that a, b and y satisfy the original formula?
DrClaude said:
If ##\alpha = 2## and ##\beta=1##, then you have the wrong ##\vec{y}##.

Aah what a mistake I made there... I should have written the final form of y, I've mistaken ##\alpha,\beta,\gamma## for its components, but they are coefficients of ##\vec{a},\vec{b}##. It works now, thank you!

But ##\gamma## has to be 0, otherwise it doesn't work for me.

Likes jedishrfu
Robin04 said:
Aah what a mistake I made there... I should have written the final form of y, I've mistaken ##\alpha,\beta,\gamma## for its components, but they are coefficients of ##\vec{a},\vec{b}##. It works now, thank you!

But ##\gamma## has to be 0, otherwise it doesn't work for me.

My feeling is that ##\gamma## can be any value but perhaps @DrClaude can comment on it.

Could you show it with equations, please?

let a = (1,0,0) and b=(0,1,0) and so a x b = ( 0,0,1)

then y=(8,-5,10) where ##\beta = (-5/8) \alpha##.

I chose ##\alpha = 8## and so ##\beta = -5## and arbitrarily chose ##\gamma = 10##

a x (8y) + a x b = (0,80,-40) + (0,0,1) = (0,80,-39)

b x (-5y) + b x a = (-50,0,40) + (0,0,-1) = (-50,0,39)

Well, I didn't succeed! I see where I got ##\gamma## wrong now and I think you're right, it must be zero.

----------------------

Let y = ##\alpha## a + ##\beta## b + ##\gamma## (a x b)

then ##\alpha## a x (8a + 5b) = 0 + 5 ##\alpha## ( a x b)

and ##\beta## b x ( 8a + 5b) = -8 ##\beta## (a x b) + 0

and ##\gamma## (a x b) x (8a + 5b) = 8##\gamma## (a x b) x a + 5##\gamma## (a x b) x b

Last edited:
Robin04 said:
##\vec{y}\times(-8\vec{a}-5\vec{b}) = -8\alpha(\vec{a}\times\vec{a})-5\alpha(\vec{a}\times\vec{b})-8\beta(\vec{b}\times\vec{a})-5\beta(\vec{b}\times\vec{b}) + \gamma(\vec{b}\times\vec{a})\times(-8\vec{a}-5\vec{b})##
##=(5\alpha-8\beta)(\vec{b}\times\vec{a})-8\gamma[\vec{a}(\vec{b}\vec{a})-\vec{b}(\vec{a}\vec{a})]-5\gamma[\vec{a}(\vec{b}\vec{b})-\vec{b}(\vec{a}\vec{b})]##
From the equation this has to be equal to ##2\vec{b}\times\vec{a}## so ##5\alpha-8\beta = 2## and ##\gamma = 0##
You found
$$
-8\gamma[\vec{a}(\vec{b}\vec{a})-\vec{b}(\vec{a}\vec{a})]-5\gamma[\vec{a}(\vec{b}\vec{b})-\vec{b}(\vec{a}\vec{b})] = 0
$$
from which either ##\gamma = 0## or
$$
8[\vec{a}(\vec{b}\vec{a})-\vec{b}(\vec{a}\vec{a})]+5[\vec{a}(\vec{b}\vec{b})-\vec{b}(\vec{a}\vec{b})] = 0
$$
With a bit of algebra, you can transform this into the equation ##c_1 \vec{a} = c_2 \vec{b}##, which contradicts ##\vec{a}## and ##\vec{b}## being linearly independent (except if ##c_1 = c_2 = 0##, but you can eliminate that possibility for real vectors).

Likes Robin04 and jedishrfu
DrClaude said:
You found
$$
-8\gamma[\vec{a}(\vec{b}\vec{a})-\vec{b}(\vec{a}\vec{a})]-5\gamma[\vec{a}(\vec{b}\vec{b})-\vec{b}(\vec{a}\vec{b})] = 0
$$
from which either ##\gamma = 0## or
$$
8[\vec{a}(\vec{b}\vec{a})-\vec{b}(\vec{a}\vec{a})]+5[\vec{a}(\vec{b}\vec{b})-\vec{b}(\vec{a}\vec{b})] = 0
$$
With a bit of algebra, you can transform this into the equation ##c_1 \vec{a} = c_2 \vec{b}##, which contradicts ##\vec{a}## and ##\vec{b}## being linearly independent (except if ##c_1 = c_2 = 0##, but you can eliminate that possibility for real vectors).
Aah, so this would have been the precise way of saying this, I should have known!

Thank you all for you help!

What is a 3D vector equation?

A 3D vector equation is a mathematical representation of a vector in three-dimensional space. It involves three variables, typically denoted as x, y, and z, and can be written as ##\vec{y} = \begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix} ##

How do you solve a 3D vector equation for ##\vec{y}##?

To solve a 3D vector equation for ##\vec{y}##, you need to isolate the vector on one side of the equation and all other variables on the other side. This can be done by using basic algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

What are the common methods used to solve 3D vector equations?

The most common methods used to solve 3D vector equations include the substitution method, elimination method, and graphical method. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate variables and solve for the unknown vector.

What are some real-life applications of solving 3D vector equations?

3D vector equations have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to describe the motion of objects in space, calculate forces and velocities, and create 3D models and animations.

What are some tips for solving 3D vector equations?

Some tips for solving 3D vector equations include correctly identifying the variables and their corresponding components, using the correct method (substitution, elimination, or graphical), and checking your solution by plugging it back into the original equation. It is also helpful to practice with various examples to improve your understanding of the concept.