Calculate Compressional Force of Separated Hydrogen Protons/Electrons

  • Thread starter Thread starter J89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
J89
Messages
29
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Suppose 7.00 g of hydrogen is separated into electrons and protons. Suppose also the protons are placed at the Earth's North Pole and the electrons are placed at the South Pole. What is the resulting compressional force on the Earth?



Homework Equations



Fe = Ke*|q1||q2|/r^2, radius of Earth is 6.38*10^6 * 2 to get diameter is 1.3*10^7...



The Attempt at a Solution


I believe this is the correct way:

7 * 6.02^1023 = 4.21*10^24 (since it is 7 hydrogens, and 1 hydrogen = 1 Avagrado's number)
= [(4.21*10^24)*(1.60*10^-19)]^2/(4^(6.38*10^6)^2) * 8.99*10^9 = 2.51*10^7. I think the reason we multiply by 4 is because we need to get the diameter for both proton and electron, giving 4.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
J89 said:

The Attempt at a Solution


I believe this is the correct way:

7 * 6.02^1023 = 4.21*10^24 (since it is 7 hydrogens, and 1 hydrogen = 1 Avagrado's number)
= [(4.21*10^24)*(1.60*10^-19)]^2/(4^(6.38*10^6)^2) * 8.99*10^9 = 2.51*10^7. I think the reason we multiply by 4 is because we need to get the diameter for both proton and electron, giving 4.
I don't follow your reasoning.

In order to determine the force between 7 moles of protons and 7 moles of electrons at opposite poles of the Earth you have to know the permittivity of the earth. Since the Earth is largely iron, look up the permittivity of iron.

Use:

[tex]F = \frac{Q_1Q_2}{4\pi\epsilon r^2}[/tex]

where [itex]\epsilon = \epsilon_r\epsilon_0[/itex] ([itex]\epsilon_r[/itex] being the relative permittivity of iron).

AM