Calculate damping coefficient of dashpot from physical dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the damping coefficient of a linear viscous dashpot/damper using the dimensions of the piston and the dynamic viscosity of the damping fluid. While a calculator is available, one person is looking for the specific equation used in order to input physical dimensions and calculate the damping coefficient. The source of the web page may provide this information.
JimmyJimmy
Hi all,

I am trying to calculate the damping coefficient of a linear viscous dashpot/damper given the dimensions of the piston, and the dynamic viscosity of the damping fluid.

I have found this calculator, but does anyone know the equation that it uses?

http://www.tribology-abc.com/calculators/damper.htm

Many thanks,
JJ.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks, I was more looking for an equation(s) which allows me to input the physical dimensions of the piston and the viscous fluid in order to calculate the damping coefficient, rather than recorded data of the damper performance.

View the source of the web page and you should be able to see the equation used.

Dear JJ,

Thank you for your question. The damping coefficient of a dashpot can be calculated using the following equation:

c = 6πηL/A

Where c is the damping coefficient, η is the dynamic viscosity of the damping fluid, L is the length of the piston, and A is the cross-sectional area of the piston.

This equation can also be derived from the equation for the damping force of a viscous damper, F = cv, where v is the velocity of the piston.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your calculations.

Sincerely,

1. What is a dashpot?

A dashpot is a mechanical device used to dampen or absorb energy in a system, often in the form of vibrations or oscillations.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the damping coefficient of a dashpot?

The damping coefficient is a measure of how much energy a dashpot can dissipate, making it an important factor in understanding and controlling the behavior of a mechanical system.

3. What are the physical dimensions needed to calculate the damping coefficient of a dashpot?

The physical dimensions typically required to calculate the damping coefficient of a dashpot include the piston diameter, piston rod diameter, and length of the dashpot.

4. How is the damping coefficient of a dashpot calculated?

The damping coefficient can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the dashpot by the relative velocity between the piston and the cylinder. This can be represented by the equation: c = F/v, where c is the damping coefficient, F is the applied force, and v is the relative velocity.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the damping coefficient from physical dimensions?

Yes, there may be limitations in accurately calculating the damping coefficient from physical dimensions alone. Other factors such as the material properties of the dashpot and external forces acting on the system may also affect the damping coefficient.