Can Eddy Current Dampers Be Used to Add Damping to Small Mechanical Systems?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CharleyK
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Damper Micro
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
CharleyK
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I have a mechanical motion platform. It's only about 8 grams and about 5x5x5 cm.
I'm a bit worried about the natural frequency and I want to mechanically damp it to slightly under-damped. I'm using phosphor-bronze for my spring elements, I'm not sure how much damping is intrinsic to phosphor-bronze though.

Since this is all very small, I can't really make my own custom dashpot. I was thinking of just sticking a beam with a plate in some bucket with viscous fluid. It sort of looks like a dashpot, but without a tightly fit piston, but just a plate. I can't find anything on make such a device though. I could get the drag coefficient of a plate and the density of the fluid and calculate the drag force, but I don't think I can estimate the damping ratio from that.

So my question is; Is there a simple way to add some damping to a mechanical system? It has to be very simple to be manufactured and fitted on the platform. It can be some plate in a viscous fluid or some other concept. I can elaborate more on the platform is necessary.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org