Estimation of the damping coefficient of a suspenion

In summary: I know that the best is testing only the damper, but I do not have any tool to apply a known load. Any suggestion is appreciated. My idea is to install very precise draw-wire displacement sensors. I do also have a high speed camera.
serbring
Hi all,

I have a suspended seat with a scissor mechanism like the following:
fb2c50db-5ac3-416f-a643-3c32f76c4924.jpg
This seat is composed of coil spring and a hydraulic damper. My aim is to develop a multibody model of that seat. Actually, my model is quite complete, only the parameters of damper are missing (i.e. the damping coefficient with respect to its piston speed). I do not have any technical details about it, so I need to estimate it. I am thinking to use a system identification approach, that means, applying a known excitation to the seat, measure the displacement of the seat cushion and tune the model parameter so that the measured displacement will be reproduced. I do not have any rig so that I can easily apply a known excitation. I was thinking to excite the seat by applying an impulse (falling mass at a certain height) to the seat cushion. What do you think about this approach? Do you know an easier approach to get the damping curve of the damper?

Thanks,

best regards

Attachments

• fb2c50db-5ac3-416f-a643-3c32f76c4924.jpg
    fb2c50db-5ac3-416f-a643-3c32f76c4924.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 823
Engineering news on Phys.org
The damper manufacturer must supply that information. Otherwise, no seat manufacturer would know which size damper to buy.

Hi Anorlunda,

you are on right, unfortunately I do not work for any seat manufacturer. I have contacted both the seat and the damper manufacturer and both have not supplied any information. So I was thinking to use an experimental mode.

PS
I am sorry for the late reply, I trusted on the email alert :|

If you know the spring constant, you can estimate the damper coefficient by displacing the seat, releasing it, and then measuring the subsequent displacement vs time.

Yep! you're on right. Easy and safe. This made me think, that this type of dampers has two different coefficients, one in compression and the other in rebound, right?

serbring said:
Yep! you're on right. Easy and safe. This made me think, that this type of dampers has two different coefficients, one in compression and the other in rebound, right?
I don't know about that. Damping coefficients are usually assumed to be the same for both directions.

Likes serbring
anorlunda said:
How about you just experiment. 60 seconds of searchiing found this item, an adustable force air damper.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...l?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.49.57c31d936fIF7q

They are inexpensive. How about just buying one, then use the adjustment to tune it to your needs?

Which kind of test you are thinking about? I need to find the parameters of the damper that is already installed in a seat suspension

serbring said:
Which kind of test you are thinking about? I need to find the parameters of the damper that is already installed in a seat suspension

Ah, I see. Are you able to make a deflection, then release it while accurately measuring the position versus time recovery? That is similar to excitation that you suggested in #1, except that instead of a periodic excitation it would be a step function. Success depends on the instrumentation available.

Come to think of it, a video recording analyzed frame-by-frame would be a good way to measure deflection versus time.

Edit: The whole test and analysis might be easier if you removed the damper from the chair.

Last edited:
serbring said:

I don't know about shocks for seats, but the shocks used for high end sports car suspensions frequently have 3 separate characteristics - high speed compression, low speed compression, and rebound. The simple model used in physics problems frequently assumes that there's a single damping coefficient, but this is frequently not the case in reality.

Likes serbring
anorlunda said:
Ah, I see. Are you able to make a deflection, then release it while accurately measuring the position versus time recovery? That is similar to excitation that you suggested in #1, except that instead of a periodic excitation it would be a step function. Success depends on the instrumentation available.

Come to think of it, a video recording analyzed frame-by-frame would be a good way to measure deflection versus time.

Edit: The whole test and analysis might be easier if you removed the damper from the chair.

I know that the best is testing only the damper, but I do not have any tool to apply a known load. Any suggestion is appreciated. My idea is to install very precise draw-wire displacement sensors. I do also have a high speed camera.

1. What is the damping coefficient of a suspension?

The damping coefficient of a suspension is a measure of how much energy is dissipated during the oscillation of a suspension system. It is a constant value that determines the rate at which the suspension returns to its equilibrium position after being disturbed.

2. How is the damping coefficient of a suspension calculated?

The damping coefficient of a suspension can be calculated using a variety of methods, including theoretical calculations based on the suspension's design and experimental measurements using specialized equipment. The most common method is to measure the suspension's response to a known external force and use this data to calculate the damping coefficient.

3. What factors affect the damping coefficient of a suspension?

Several factors can affect the damping coefficient of a suspension, including the type and design of the suspension system, the material properties of the suspension components, and any external forces acting on the suspension. Additionally, the temperature and moisture levels can also impact the damping coefficient.

4. Why is it important to estimate the damping coefficient of a suspension?

The damping coefficient is a crucial parameter in determining the performance and stability of a suspension system. It helps in optimizing the design of the suspension for specific applications, such as minimizing vibrations and oscillations in vehicles, machinery, and structures.

5. How can the damping coefficient of a suspension be improved?

The damping coefficient of a suspension can be improved by using materials with higher damping properties, optimizing the design of the suspension system, and implementing damping devices, such as shock absorbers and hydraulic dampers. Additionally, regular maintenance and proper tuning can also help maintain and improve the damping coefficient of a suspension.