Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate dielectric function from n and k

1. Jul 13, 2010 #1
    Dear All,

I am trying to calculate the dielectric function of a thin silicon film from the real and imaginary values of the refractive index, which I have for wavelengths between 300 and 900 nm. If I have the n and k values (real and imaginary components of the refractive index), could anyone advise me as to how excactly to calculate the dielectric function from these values?

Am I correct in thinking the formulae shown under the 'Relation to dielectric constant' section in the following link are the right formulae to use?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractive_index

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2010 #2
    Assuming that the material is nonmagnetic ([itex]\mu = \mu_0[/itex]), you can just use [itex]\epsilon = (n+ i k)^2[/itex]. Of course, you have to be careful to make sure you get the signs of the real and imaginary parts of the permittivity right.

4. Jul 14, 2010 #3

DrDu

Science Advisor

In optics, the statment [tex] \mu=\mu_0[/tex] is not an assumption about the material being non-magnetic, but a definition. All magnetic effects are taken care of by the wavenumber dependence of the dielectric constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook