Calculate Energy Change for CaF2 Formation from Elements | 4290 kJ/mol

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 9K views
kuahji
Messages
390
Reaction score
2
Calculate the energy change for the formation of CaF2 (s) from its elements in their standard states and the following information:

Ca (s) + F2 (g) -> CaF2 ?
Ca (s) -> Ca (g) = 179.3 kJ/mol
Ca (g) -> Ca+ (ion) (g) + e- = 589.9 kJ/mol
Ca+ (ion) (g) -> Ca2+ (ion) (g) +e- = 1145 kJ/mol
1/2 F2 (g) -> F(g) = 79.0 kJ/mol
F(g) + e- -> F- (ion) (g) = -328.0 kJ/mol
CaF2 (s) -> Ca2+ (ion) (g) + 2 F- (ion) (g) = 2630 kJ/mol

Basically, what I did was add each one up in the order listed & I got 4290 kJ/mol. However, this doesn't seem to make any sense, because I want a negative kJ/mol, or at least according to the problems in the book (my first time dealing with these problems). Any ideas what is going on?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What form of an energy equation is one using? Is one getting the correct magnitude for the energy change?
 
Last edited:
kuahji said:
Calculate the energy change for the formation of CaF2 (s) from its elements in their standard states and the following information:

Ca (s) + F2 (g) -> CaF2 ?
Ca (s) -> Ca (g) = 179.3 kJ/mol
Ca (g) -> Ca+ (ion) (g) + e- = 589.9 kJ/mol
Ca+ (ion) (g) -> Ca2+ (ion) (g) +e- = 1145 kJ/mol
1/2 F2 (g) -> F(g) = 79.0 kJ/mol
F(g) + e- -> F- (ion) (g) = -328.0 kJ/mol
CaF2 (s) -> Ca2+ (ion) (g) + 2 F- (ion) (g) = 2630 kJ/mol

Basically, what I did was add each one up in the order listed

Think about your target equation: Ca(s) + F2(g) --> CaF2

If you add up all the equations, they will not give you the above.

1/2 F2 (g) -> F(g) = 79.0 kJ/mol
F(g) + e- -> F- (ion) (g) = -328.0 kJ/mol
CaF2 (s) -> Ca2+ (ion) (g) + 2 F- (ion) (g) = 2630 kJ/mol

you need to manipulate these 3 equations so that you get F2 (not 1/2F2)
and also that CaF2 is on the right hand side (what happens to the 2630 if you reverse the equation?) ...neg kJ/mol you are looking for
 
:) yes, I just came on to check the thread. What switched the last equation around to get -2630 kJ/mol, then I was thinking if I multiplied the first equation by 2, I'd get F2 (g) -> 2 F (g) = 158 kJ/mol. Then I'd have to multiply the next equation by 2 to get 2 F(g) + 2e- -> 2F- (ion) (g) = -656 kJ/mol. The add them all up to get -1210 kJ/mol. Or so I think ^_^.