Calculate Force and Direction of Magnetic Field on a Wire

  • Thread starter Thread starter davidelete
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Magnetic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
davidelete
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A wire 3.0 cm long lies perpendicular to a magnetic field with a magnetic induction of 0.40 T. Calculate the force on the wire if the current is 5.0 A. What is the direction of force?


Homework Equations



F=BIL

The Attempt at a Solution



I found the force to be .06 N but I have no idea how to find the direction.



Homework Statement


A wire 1.5 m long is at right angles to a magnetic field.

a. What is the magnetic induction of the field if the force on the wire is 1.5 N and the current is 0.050 A?

b. What is the force on the wire if it is rotated 90 degrees?

Homework Equations



F=BIL

The Attempt at a Solution



a. The answer is 20 Teslas.

b. I have no idea? Would it be zero because they are not perpendicular any more?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea how to find the direction.
Perpendicular to the plane containing wire and magnetic field.
I have no idea? Would it be zero because they are not perpendicular any more?
It depends upon how the wire is rotated.