1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate forces on a double scissor jack

1. Mar 10, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find maximum forces in one given jack assembly. If I don't make it any easier, I will have 15 unknown forces, so I tried to just take the weight forces at the top...is it an okay assumption? If not, what should I do? My attempt on a solution is underneath. Thanks for tips and answers.
    jack.png
    2. Relevant equations
    They are given in the picture below.

3. The attempt at a solution
    calc.png

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2017 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There have to be balancing forces somewhere - the stand as shown would just collapse .

Do you want to work out the forces in each link or just the ratio between input force and lifting force ?

Have you seen this earlier thread ?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  4. Mar 12, 2017 #3
    I'm sorry, I have a motor that holds the bar between the jacks together, so it is a force F holding the lower right leg in place. I'm most interested in finding where and how big the maximum stress is, so I can choose the right cross section for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted