Calculate hydraulic ram force from 20mm piston and 52 bar pressure

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
rockabillyjim
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi, I was wondering how to calculate the force of a hydraulic ram in Newtons if the piston diametre is 20mm and the oil pressure is 52 bars. I would like it if someone could explain the formula as i can only find it with psi and imperial units on google. Also I have the shaft diametre of 4mm, I don't know if this is relevant

Thanks
Jim
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Formulas are generally given so that they work with consistent units. Are Newtons, mm, and bars consistent units?
 
I don't know. I probably sound a bit thick but I'm doing some homework for college and its beyond me.
 
Well, show us the formula you found online. We can start with that.
 
Ok here is the question. Calculate the force of the hydraulic ram when the oil pressure is 52 bars, the piston diameter is 20mm and the rod diameter is 4mm. I understand that I multiply the pressure by the area of the piston but I'm not sure weather I need to convert anything.
Thanks