Calculate Magnitude of Gravitational Force on One Sphere

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 10K views
sugarntwiligh
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Four 9.5 kg spheres are located at the corners of a square of side 0.60 m. Calculate the magnitude of the total gravitational force exerted on one sphere by the other three.

Homework Equations



F=G(mass of #1)(mass of #2)/r^2
F=G(mass of #1)(mass of #3)/r^2
F=G(mass of #1)(mass of #2)/r^2
For #3 take Fsin(45)=x value
For #3 x value=y value

x and y components added
F=squareroot(x^2+y^2)


The Attempt at a Solution


r=0.6m
m=9.5kg
F#2x=1.625e-8
F#2y=0
F#3x=0
F#3y=-1.672e-8
F#4x=1.182e-8
F#4y=-1.182e-8
FTotal= 4.037e-8

Correct answer in book for FTotal: 3.2e-8
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show how you got

F#2x=1.625e-8
F#4x=1.182e-8
F#4y=-1.182e-8
 
RE:
Can you show how you got

F#2x=1.625e-8
F#4x=1.182e-8
F#4y=-1.182e-8

Begin Reply:
F#2x=(G)(9.5)(9.5)/(0.6^2)
=1.672e-8
Which was a typo, thanks for pointing that out.
F=#4x=[(G)(9.5)(9.5)/(0.6^2)]sin(45)=
=1.182e-8
F=#4y=[(G)(9.5)(9.5)/(0.6^2)]cos(45)=
=1.182e-8
 
The distance between the two masses diagonally across from each other will NOT be 0.6 m. 0.6 m is the length of the sides of the square.
 
Wow thank you so much! I can't believe I missed that. I plugged in my values again and I got 3.13e-8, which I attribute to rounding. Thanks again!