How to solve gravitational force exerted

In summary, the problem involves finding the gravitational force exerted on a particle of mass m inside a narrow hole drilled through a uniform sphere of mass M and radius a. The force is given by the equation F = GMm/r2 and for (ii) exterior to a uniform solid sphere, it is equal to (GMm(r/a)3)/r2. The symbols p and dv were not defined, and the reasoning for setting up the equation F = GM(pdv)/r2 is unclear. Therefore, the correct equation for F is (GMm/r2) + (GMm(r/a)3)/r2 = (GMm/a3)r.
Another
problem 3.8 Classical mechanics R.Douglas Gregory
A narrow Hole is drilled through the centre of a uniform sphere of mass M and radius a . Find the gravitational force exerted on a particle of mass m which is inside the hole at a distance r from the centreF = GMm/r2(i) interior to a uniform hollow sphere with inner radius r and outer radius a
resultant force = 0
(ii) exterior to a uniform solid sphere of radius r and mass (r/a)^3 M

F = F(ii) + F(i)
F =( GMm(r/a)3 )/r2 + 0
F = (GMm/a3)r ; this is answer

I don't understand F(ii) why equal ( GMm(r/a)3 )/r2

I think that F = GM(pdv)/r2 how to solve ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Another said:
(ii) exterior to a uniform solid sphere of radius r and mass (r/a)^3 M
F =( GMm(r/a)3 )/r2 + 0
F = (GMm/a3)r ; this is answer
What does m stand for? Is it the same as M?

[Edit: Never mind, you defined m in the problem statement. Sorry. Yes, that looks good.]

I think that F = GM(pdv)/r2 how to solve ?
What do the symbols p and dv represent? Can you explain your reasoning for setting up this equation? Should the mass m appear somewhere here?

Last edited:
Likes Another

1. How is gravitational force exerted?

Gravitational force is exerted between two objects with mass. The force is directly proportional to the mass of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is the formula for calculating gravitational force?

The formula for calculating gravitational force is F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. How does distance affect gravitational force?

The force of gravity decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects.

4. Can you show an example of calculating gravitational force?

Let's say we have two objects, one with a mass of 10 kg and the other with a mass of 20 kg, and they are 5 meters apart. Plugging these values into the formula F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, we get F = (6.67 x 10^-11 N.m^2/kg^2) * ((10 kg * 20 kg)/5^2), which gives us a gravitational force of 2.67 x 10^-10 Newtons.

5. What is the importance of understanding gravitational force?

Understanding gravitational force is important for many scientific fields, such as astronomy and physics. It helps us understand the motion of objects in space and the dynamics of the universe. It also plays a crucial role in engineering and technology, such as in the design of satellites and spacecraft.