Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate point in ellipse given a unit vector

1. Jun 30, 2011 #1
    Hi to everyone.

I'm detecting collision between two ellipses. I've got my unit vector, my ellipse center and radius (horizontal and vertical). I want to calculate the point that lies in the ellipse on the direction of the unit vector. See the image attached. Suppose the red arrow is my unit vector and I want to get the coordinates of the green colored point. I'm just multiplying my unit vector times my radius plus the center of the ellipse. The formula looks like this:

Code (Text):

//Assume unit vector has been already calculated at this stage, ellipseCenter and ellipseRadius has been given
    Vector pointInEllipse = VectorMake(unitVector.x * ellipseRadius.x + ellipseCenter.x, unitVector.y * ellipseRadius.y + ellipseCenter.y);

The point I get using the above formula lies on the ellipse, but it's translated on both axis a little bit, translated enough to detect collisions when haven't occurred any.
    What am I missing here?

Thank you very much in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I've never heard of an ellipse radius. If the equation of the ellipse is

[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1[/tex]

what quantity represents the "ellipse radius"?

4. Jun 30, 2011 #3
    I apologize for that, it's a and b from that equation, ellipseRadius.x = a and ellipseRadius.y = b.

5. Jun 30, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have trouble deciphering your syntax in that programming language. But if you have a unit vector you have the slope m. Assuming the picture is translated to the origin, why not just solve y = mx with the equation of the ellipse? A quick calculation seems to show you just need to calculate something like

[tex]x=\pm\frac{ab}{\sqrt{m^2+b^2}}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook