Calculate Power to Stop 32.0kg Wheel in 15s

  • Thread starter Thread starter bearhug
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Power Rotational
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
bearhug
Messages
78
Reaction score
0
A 32.0 kg wheel, essentially a thin hoop with radius 1.20 m is rotating at 280 rev/min. It must be brought to a stop in 15.0s
What ist the required average power to do this?

I know that P=τω
To find τ I used the equation τ=Fd where F=ma I figured I would find a by using the equation ωf= ωi + αt
First off is this the right approach? I'm also confused as to what d is. My book doesn't really explain it that well, would d be = 1.20m?

Thanks for any help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Another way to approach this problem is to calculate the initial rotational energy, then the average power is just delta-E / delta-t

What is the rotational E in terms of the moment of inertia and rotational velocity? How do you calculate the moment of inertia for the wheel as described?