Calculate Steel Cylinder Mass - 2.5m diam. x 4m length

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
gimini75
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Hi

I have a problem I want to find the mass of a hollow cylinder which is made of steel, the sylinder diameter is 2.5m, the length is 4m, then I have done my calculations as follow:

Volume of the cylinder = Лd²/4 x h = 19.635 cubic meters

Mass of cylinder = volume x denisity
= 19.635 x 7800 = 153153 kg

This a very big mass I think it's wrong but I don't know why if you know can you help me please?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
gimini75 said:
Hi

I have a problem I want to find the mass of a hollow cylinder which is made of steel, the sylinder diameter is 2.5m, the length is 4m, then I have done my calculations as follow:

Volume of the cylinder = Лd²/4 x h = 19.635 cubic meters

Mass of cylinder = volume x denisity
= 19.635 x 7800 = 153153 kg

This a very big mass I think it's wrong but I don't know why if you know can you help me please?
You have calculated the mass of a solid steel cylinder. You need to know the wall thickness of the hollow cylinder, so you can exclude the hollow part in your calculation.
 
Hi
The wall thickness is 8 mm but Iam not sure how to do it? how to exclude it from the calculation?
 
gimini75 said:
Hi
The wall thickness is 8 mm but Iam not sure how to do it? how to exclude it from the calculation?

When you calculate the volume, subtract out the inner diameter.

CS