Calculate Tangential Rotational Force of Sphere in Flow

  • Thread starter Thread starter germana2006
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Flow Sphere
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
germana2006
Messages
39
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Considering a unsteady, incompressible flow past a sphere placed in a channel. The sphere is offset somewhat from the center of the flow to destabilize what otherwise would be steady-state symmetrical flow. Calculate the tangencial rotational force at the sphere.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


My attempt is to make use of the Stoke's friction law for rotational motion of a sphere:
[tex]F=-8 \pi \eta_0 a^3 \Omega[/tex]
with [tex]\eta_0[/tex] the viscosity, [tex]a[/tex] sphere radius, [tex]\Omega[/tex] sphere velocity.
But this is the total force and I have to calculate only the tangencial.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The friction force is a tangential force, then if I have to calculate the tangential rotational force, then I have only to calculate the friction force written above?