Calculate Temp Increase for Enthalpy of Sulfur Burning in Excess O2

  • Thread starter Thread starter MathewsMD
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
MathewsMD
Messages
430
Reaction score
7

Homework Statement



A sample of sulfur, mass 2.56g, is burned in excess oxygen inside a calorimeter of heat capacity 923 J/K and insulated by 815g of water. If the sole product of combustion is SO2(g), what is the expected increase in temperature?


Homework Equations



q = mcΔT
q = CΔT


The Attempt at a Solution



I am given that the ΔHof = -296.8 kJ/mol for SO2(g) and the enthalpy of formation of oxygen gas and sulfur is 0.

S(s) + O2(g) → SO2(g)

So, I did:

(1g / 32.06 g/mol)(-296.8 kJ/mol) = - [(4.184 g/molK)(815g)ΔT + (923 J/K)(ΔT)]

After isolating for ΔT and converting units to J, i found my answer as 2.136 K but this is incorrect. Any comments on where I went wrong? Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:

Homework Statement



A sample of sulfur, mass 2.56g, is burned in excess oxygen inside a calorimeter of heat capacity 923 J/K and insulated by 815g of water. If the sole product of combustion is SO2(g), what is the expected increase in temperature?


Homework Equations



q = mcΔT
q = CΔT


The Attempt at a Solution



I am given that the ΔHof = -296.8 kJ/mol for SO2(g) and the enthalpy of formation of oxygen gas and sulfur is 0.

S(s) + O2(g) → SO2(g)

So, I did:

(1g / 32.06 g/mol)(-296.8 kJ/mol) = - [(4.184 g/molK)(815g)ΔT + (923 J/K)(ΔT)]

After isolating for ΔT and converting units to J, i found my answer as 2.136 K but this is incorrect. Any comments on where I went wrong? Thanks!
A negative heat of reaction means that, to maintain the temperature constant at the initial temperature, you need to remove heat. So the reaction gives off 296.8 kJ/mol. So the temperature in your calorimeter has to rise. There shouldn't be a minus sign on the rhs.