1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the actual depth of the trout

1. Jan 15, 2010 #1
    Sam is sitting in her fishing boat watching a trout swim below the surface. She guesses the apparent depth of the trout at 2.0m. She estimates that her eyes are about 1.0 m above the water's surface, and that the angle at which she's observing the trout is 45 degrees.

a) draw a diagram to show the ACTUAL depth of the trout and the path of light from the trout to Sam's eyes
    b) Calculate the actual depth of the trout

MY WORK SO FAR:
    ni=1.33 for water (the "i" stands or incident)
    nR=1.00 for air (to 3 significant digits) (the "r" stands for refracted)

sinangle1=[(nR)(sinangleR)] divided by ni
    =(1.00)(.707) divided by 1.33
    =0.534
    anglei=32.3degrees

I don't know where to go from here...please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2010 #2
    Can you do what the question asks and draw a diagram of the light rays striking the fishermans eyes? What happens at the surface?

Is it bent towards or away from the fisherman? If you know that, it becomes a problem in geometry.

4. Jan 15, 2010 #3
    sorry, I still don't understand.please explain more.

5. Jan 15, 2010 #4
    I would guess that the rays of light striking the fisherman's eyes are bent toward the fisherman's eyes.

6. Jan 16, 2010 #5
    Hee, hee poorly worded.

Words are way too often a lousy substitute for math and a diagram. So correct that which should read whether the rays reflected from the fish were directed above or below his eyes before hitting the surface.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook