Calculate the actual depth of the trout

• Thread starter Shaley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Depth
In summary, Sam is estimating the depth of a trout swimming below the surface from her fishing boat. She approximates the apparent depth of the trout to be 2.0m and calculates the angle at which she is observing it to be 45 degrees. To determine the actual depth of the trout, she draws a diagram and uses the indices of refraction for water and air. From her calculations, the incident angle of the light rays is 32.3 degrees and they are bent towards her eyes. However, a diagram and further information are needed to accurately calculate the actual depth of the trout.
Shaley
Sam is sitting in her fishing boat watching a trout swim below the surface. She guesses the apparent depth of the trout at 2.0m. She estimates that her eyes are about 1.0 m above the water's surface, and that the angle at which she's observing the trout is 45 degrees.

a) draw a diagram to show the ACTUAL depth of the trout and the path of light from the trout to Sam's eyes
b) Calculate the actual depth of the trout

MY WORK SO FAR:
ni=1.33 for water (the "i" stands or incident)
nR=1.00 for air (to 3 significant digits) (the "r" stands for refracted)

sinangle1=[(nR)(sinangleR)] divided by ni
=(1.00)(.707) divided by 1.33
=0.534
anglei=32.3degrees

I don't know where to go from here...please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you do what the question asks and draw a diagram of the light rays striking the fishermans eyes? What happens at the surface?

Is it bent towards or away from the fisherman? If you know that, it becomes a problem in geometry.

sorry, I still don't understand.please explain more.

denverdoc said:
Can you do what the question asks and draw a diagram of the light rays striking the fishermans eyes? What happens at the surface?

Is it bent towards or away from the fisherman? If you know that, it becomes a problem in geometry.

I would guess that the rays of light striking the fisherman's eyes are bent toward the fisherman's eyes.

Hee, hee poorly worded.

Words are way too often a lousy substitute for math and a diagram. So correct that which should read whether the rays reflected from the fish were directed above or below his eyes before hitting the surface.

1. How do you calculate the actual depth of a trout?

To calculate the actual depth of a trout, you will need to use the equation: depth = velocity x time. This means that you will need to measure the speed of the trout and the amount of time it takes to swim from one point to another. Once you have this information, you can plug it into the equation to determine the actual depth of the trout.

2. What is the velocity of a trout?

The velocity of a trout can vary depending on factors such as the species of trout, water temperature, and current. On average, a trout can swim at a speed of 1.5-2.5 body lengths per second.

3. How long should I measure the time for a trout's swim?

The time you measure for a trout's swim should be at least 10 seconds to get an accurate measurement. You can also take multiple measurements and calculate the average time for a more precise result.

4. Can I use this equation to calculate the depth of other fish?

Yes, you can use this equation to calculate the depth of other fish as long as you have the necessary information of their velocity and swim time. However, keep in mind that the velocity of different fish species can vary, so the results may not be entirely accurate.

5. Why is it important to calculate the actual depth of a trout?

Calculating the actual depth of a trout can provide valuable information for researchers and conservationists. It can help in understanding the behavior and movement patterns of the trout, which can aid in their conservation and management. It can also provide insights into the health of the aquatic ecosystem and the impact of human activities on fish populations.