Solving the Pool Depth with Refraction in Water

In summary: Yes, that horizontal distance will be the same for the object and the image. Your approach looks good - carry on!
jegues

Homework Statement

A child is standing at the edge of a swimming pool and looks straight down into the pool, where he sees a coin resting on the bottom. The coin appears to be 2.0m directly below the water's surface. How deep is the pool at the location of the coin? The index of refraction of water is 1.33.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See figure attached for my attempt.

Still not sure how to finish this one off.

Attachments

• 2008Q11.JPG
    2008Q11.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 2,292
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can assume x is the same for both object and image.
It is important to use the n=1.33, so you need to consider the rays and angles in the air. It really takes two rays from the object and their refracted rays to determine the location of the image. Unfortunately you aren't given the angles of two rays.

Perhaps that gives you freedom to choose two rays arriving at the eye and appearing to converge at an image 2 m beneath the surface. If so, you can use the refraction formula to calculate the two rays in the water and determine the point where they converge (the location of the coin).

Delphi51 said:
I don't think you can assume x is the same for both object and image.
It is important to use the n=1.33, so you need to consider the rays and angles in the air. It really takes two rays from the object and their refracted rays to determine the location of the image. Unfortunately you aren't given the angles of two rays.

Perhaps that gives you freedom to choose two rays arriving at the eye and appearing to converge at an image 2 m beneath the surface. If so, you can use the refraction formula to calculate the two rays in the water and determine the point where they converge (the location of the coin).

What refraction formulae would that be?

n1*sin(θ1) = n2*sin(θ2) controls the bending of light at the surface between the water and air. Law of Refraction or Snell's Law.

Delphi51 said:
n1*sin(θ1) = n2*sin(θ2) controls the bending of light at the surface between the water and air. Law of Refraction or Snell's Law.

Okay, but how do we get θ1 and θ2? We aren't given any other information so I'm not seeing how it can be done.

I just reread the question and noticed that the person is looking "straight down" into the water. That makes it easier. The two rays coming up from the coin are symmetric, so only one need be calculated. Looks like this:
rays.jpg

Of course the angles are too large for an ordinary eye to catch the rays, but that doesn't matter. I think you can use any angle you like (answer won't change) for θ2, calculate the corresponding θ1 and then the depth of the coin given the image is 2 m down.

Delphi51 said:
I just reread the question and noticed that the person is looking "straight down" into the water. That makes it easier. The two rays coming up from the coin are symmetric, so only one need be calculated. Looks like this:
rays.jpg

Of course the angles are too large for an ordinary eye to catch the rays, but that doesn't matter. I think you can use any angle you like (answer won't change) for θ2, calculate the corresponding θ1 and then the depth of the coin given the image is 2 m down.

Thanks for the picture delphi, that made the situation a lot more clear!

Anyways here's how I'm thinking going about solving for the actual depth.

See figure attached.

I made an angle called θ3 which is simply 90 - θ2.

This angle should be that angle that is inside the triangle of the image. (See first triangle in figure)

From here I can calculate x.

But here's the part I'm not sure about.

Can I assume that x stays the same? because if so then I will take this x to my triangle containing the actual depth (h) and solve for h.

If I can't work with this assumption, I'm stumped as to how to solve it.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• coinatt.jpg
    coinatt.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,433
So x is the distance from the center vertical line to the point where θ1 and θ2 have their vertex? Yes, that horizontal distance will be the same for the object and the image. Your approach looks good - carry on!

This looking straight down situation is not what I was thinking of in my first post based on your diagram. When looking not straight down, the horizontal distance to the image is not be the same as the horizontal distance to the object. Example here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/refr2.html#c1

The child is looking straight down, so θ1 and θ2 are small.

For small θ, tan(θ) ≈ sin(θ) ≈ θ

Delphi51 said:
So x is the distance from the center vertical line to the point where θ1 and θ2 have their vertex? Yes, that horizontal distance will be the same for the object and the image. Your approach looks good - carry on!

This looking straight down situation is not what I was thinking of in my first post based on your diagram. When looking not straight down, the horizontal distance to the image is not be the same as the horizontal distance to the object. Example here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/refr2.html#c1

Working with the first triangle we first define theta3,

[tex]\theta_{3} = 90 - \theta_{2} = 50^{o}[/tex]

Now,

[tex]x = \frac{2}{tan\theta_{3}}[/tex]

Then,

[tex]h = \frac{2}{tan\theta_{1}tan\theta_{3}} = 3.14[/tex]

Which is incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

SammyS said:
The child is looking straight down, so θ1 and θ2 are small.

For small θ, tan(θ) ≈ sin(θ) ≈ θ
Hello jegues.

The equations in you Original Post are good.

Find the ratio: tan(θ1) to tan(θ2)

Change tan(θ1) to sin(θ1) & tan(θ2) to sin(θ2).

Now, use Snell's Law to find another expression for the ratio: sin(θ1) to sin(θ2).

1. How does refraction affect the depth of a pool?

Refraction occurs when light travels through different mediums, such as air and water. When this happens, the light's path bends, making objects appear closer or farther away than they actually are. In the case of a pool, refraction can make the water appear shallower than it actually is, making it difficult to accurately determine the depth.

2. Why is it important to consider refraction when measuring the depth of a pool?

It is important to consider refraction because it can significantly affect the accuracy of depth measurements. If refraction is not taken into account, the depth of the pool may be overestimated, which can lead to potential safety hazards for swimmers. Additionally, accurate depth measurements are important for maintaining proper chemical levels and performing maintenance on the pool.

3. How can refraction be accounted for when solving for the pool depth?

To account for refraction, a correction factor can be applied to the measured depth. This correction factor is determined by the angle of incidence (the angle at which light enters the water) and the refractive index of water. By using this correction factor, a more accurate measurement of the pool depth can be obtained.

4. Is there a standard correction factor for refraction in pools?

No, there is no standard correction factor for refraction in pools as it depends on various factors such as the shape and size of the pool, the angle of incidence, and the refractive index of water. It is important to calculate the correction factor specific to the pool being measured for the most accurate results.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the accuracy of depth measurements in a pool?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the accuracy of depth measurements in a pool. These include the curvature of the pool's surface, the presence of waves or ripples in the water, and the quality of the water (clear vs. cloudy). It is important to take these factors into consideration when measuring the depth of a pool.