Calculate the Density of the planet

In summary, an astronaut on a new planet with a radius of 3000km measures the time it takes for a stone to fall from the top of his shuttle (height of 92.5m) to the ground (5 seconds). Using kinematics and energy equations, he calculates the acceleration and final velocity, and then uses the equation for gravitational potential energy to isolate the mass of the planet. Choosing the radius of the planet as the distance in the equation, he obtains a positive value for the mass of the planet.
enkerecz

Homework Statement

An astronaut lands on a new planet of radius R=3000km, and wants to measure its density. In order to do that, he drops a stone of unknown mass from the top of the space shuttle, which has a height of 92.5m and measures the time it takes it to reach the ground. t= 5s.
What is the density of the planet?

Homework Equations

K=.5mv2
DeltaV= -GMm/Rf - (-GMm/Ri) where Rf and Ri are the radius of the planet and the radius of the planet + rocket height respectively.
K=delta V

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to solve for the acceleration via kinematics.
I used .5at2=dY and found
a=2.72 m/s2.
Next, I calculated the final velocity using
vf2=sqrt(2adY)=22.433m/s.
I then proceeded to use my Energy equations in order to isolate big M. Unfortunately, my answer is negative and doesn't make sense.. Ehh, actually, the magnitude of it is within reason, but it being negative is what is getting me
answer= -3.77*10^23.. I don't think units cancel properly with what I did :/. Can anyone give me a pointer? I can do the rest if I can just calculate this mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
What I did, was after I calculated the a from my kinematics,
I set [tex]\frac{G(bigM)m}{r2}[/tex]=aplanetm
The little m's cancel leaving me with the ability to calculate M.

The problem now, is which r do I choose? I can choose R of the planet plus rocket height, or R of the planet. It shouldn't make a difference though because the planet's radius is
3*10^6m and the rocket is only 95m tall, correct?

That's correct, you can just use R of the planet. And that will give a positive value for M.

1. What is the formula for calculating the density of a planet?

The formula for calculating the density of a planet is density = mass/volume, where mass is measured in kilograms and volume is measured in cubic meters.

2. How do you determine the mass of a planet?

The mass of a planet can be determined by analyzing its gravitational pull on nearby objects, such as its moons or other planets, or by measuring the planet's orbit and using Newton's laws of motion to calculate its mass.

3. How do you measure the volume of a planet?

The volume of a planet can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using radar or laser altimetry to map the planet's surface and calculate its shape, or by analyzing the planet's gravitational field and using mathematical models to estimate its volume.

4. What units are used to express the density of a planet?

The density of a planet is typically expressed in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m³) or grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm³).

5. How does the density of a planet affect its characteristics?

The density of a planet is closely related to its composition and can provide valuable information about its internal structure and formation. For example, a high density may indicate a rocky or metallic composition, while a low density may suggest a gaseous or icy composition.