Radius of a planet, given the density

In summary, the conversation discussed the discovery of a planet similar in size to Earth and its mass, which is believed to be a mixture of rock and ice. The question posed was to find the radius of this planet, assuming it has the same density as Neptune. The conversation then went on to discuss the equations and attempted solution for the problem, but it was later discovered that the incorrect conversion was made from kilograms to grams. After correcting the mistake, the problem was solved correctly.
s.dyseman
Hello! I'd like to thank everyone in advance for any help I receive!

Homework Statement

In January 2006, astronomers reported the discovery of a planet comparable in size to the Earth orbiting another star and having a mass of about 5.5 times the Earth's mass. It is believed to consist of a mixture of rock and ice, similar to Neptune. Take mEarth=5.97×10^24kg and rEarth=6.38×10^6m.

If this planet has the same density as Neptune (1.76 g/cm3), what is its radius expressed in kilometers?

Homework Equations

density=m/v

volume(of a sphere)=4/3(pi)r^3

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the mass of the new planet (n) as (5.5)5.97*10^24kg=3.28*10^25kg

I set the given density of 1.76 g/cm3 equal to the found mass of 3.28*10^22g divided by the formula for the volume of a sphere, shown below:

1.76 g/cm3 = 3.28*10^22g/[4/3(pi)r^3]

I simplify until I reach r^3=4.46*10^21 cm3, then take the cubic root.

The answer I reach is 16456067.27 cm or 164.56 km (165 to three significant figures). I'm not sure why this answer is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
From 3.28*10^25kg to 3.28*10^22g is a bit strange. 1 kg = 1000 g, so I would expect 10^28 .
Everything else is just fine.

Hi s.dyseman :smile:

welcome to PF

You have just gone wrong at conversions.

Thanks everyone! I was able to correctly answer the problem after you pointed out my mistake.Thanks again

I would like to clarify that the density of a planet is influenced by various factors such as composition, temperature, and pressure. Therefore, it is not always accurate to assume that two planets with the same density will have the same radius. However, for the purpose of this exercise, we can approximate the radius of this newly discovered planet using the given density and mass.

To calculate the radius, we can use the formula for density (ρ = m/V) and the formula for the volume of a sphere (V = 4/3πr^3). Rearranging the equations, we get r = (3m/4πρ)^1/3.

Substituting the given values, we get r = (3*5.5*5.97*10^24 kg)/(4*3.14*1.76 g/cm3)^1/3 = 3.05*10^7 m = 30,500 km.

Therefore, the approximate radius of this planet is 30,500 km. However, it is important to keep in mind that this is just an approximation and the actual radius could vary depending on the factors mentioned earlier.

1. What is the formula for calculating the radius of a planet given its density?

The formula for calculating the radius of a planet is R = (3M/4πρ)^1/3, where R is the radius, M is the mass, and ρ is the density.

2. How is the density of a planet determined?

The density of a planet is determined by dividing its mass by its volume. The mass can be calculated using the planet's gravitational pull on surrounding objects, and the volume can be calculated using its radius.

3. Can the radius of a planet be estimated using its density?

Yes, the radius of a planet can be estimated using its density. However, this estimation may not be precise as there are other factors that can affect the radius, such as the planet's composition and internal structure.

4. Is the radius of a planet directly proportional to its density?

No, the radius of a planet is not directly proportional to its density. This is because different planets can have different compositions and internal structures, which can affect their density and thus their radius.

5. How accurate are the calculations for the radius of a planet using its density?

The accuracy of the calculations for the radius of a planet using its density depends on the accuracy of the measurements used for its mass and density. With precise measurements, the calculations can provide a good estimate of the planet's radius.