Calculate the distance the aircraft has travelled ?

• Thread starter Colin19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aircraft
In summary: Thanks for trying.In summary, Colin19 is trying to learn physics and is very clueless. He entered by an english name in hope of getting help, but is breaking the rules by not trying to solve the problem himself. If he cannot solve the problem himself, he is not allowed to receive help. He needs to show some effort in solving it before asking for help. Once he has shown his effort, he can ask for help. Once he has provided help, we can help him with the problem.
Colin19
Please HELP me solve this :

An aircraft at rest experiences a uniform acceleration of 6 ms-2 for 4 seconds , It maintains a constant velocity for 12 seconds and is then brought to rest in 7 seconds by a uniform retardation .

Calculate the distance the aircraft has traveled ?

Physics news on Phys.org
How have you approached the problem uptil now?
We can help you only after you show us your work.

I don't know much actually , I just wanted to get a quick detailed answer and then copy it , I will be thankful :"(

Colin19 said:
I don't know much actually , I just wanted to get a quick detailed answer and then copy it , I will be thankful :"(
Well, at least you're honest about your intentions (if not about your education). :smile:

But these are the rules you agreed to when you registered. You must follow them if you intend to stick around:
You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help.

Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.
Full text:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380

I have love for all .
I will try to solve , I know I won't but ... just sayin .
I'm from saudi arabia ,
I never studied physics seriously in my life !
But now it's about getting a good job so I'm trying to learn
" Colin " is my teacher name
I thought if I entered by an english name , I may have better chances to get answers ,
Anyhow ,
I'm terribly clueless :"\

I think the problem involves three stages:

When the aircraft is accelerating, when the velocity is constant and then when it is braking. Using the Suvat equations, I got an answer, but the rules forbid me from disclosing. Waiting to see if I am correct.

"Colin19", if you want to learn, a little bit of seriousness is essential :smile:. I am a learner too, try to use the Suvat equations and tell us the answer.

I guess I'm in the wrong place then , I don't have a clue about " Suvat equations "
I'm truly serious , all I wanted is to get the answer then to copy it ,
I'm not looking to be a scientist or actually learn anything " even though it's great "
What I'm looking for is to fill this exercise paper I have ,
So if anyone can help please please please do so
I'm trying to learn\find just to pass this period where we have to study physics .

Suvat equations are a formal defnition of the equations of motion. You just need to separate this problmem into 3 steps. For the first step, I'll offer some basic information.

If an object accelerates with a constant acceleration, then the change in velocity equals acceleration x time, and the average velocity is 1/2( (original velocity) + (final velocity) ).

In this case, the acceleration is 6 m / s2, and the initial velocity is 0 m/s. What is the final velocity be after 4 seconds? What is the average velocity?

Once you know the average velocity, then how far did the aircraft travel in 4 seconds?

Thanks ,
I will try this ,
So it's 6 X 4 = 24 m/s2 , that's the final velocity after 4 seconds , Right ?
va = ( v + v0 ) / 2 , So the avearge velocity is 12 m/s2
So in 4 seconds the Aircraft traveled 24 m ?
Is that correct ?

Colin19 said:
Thanks , I will try this , So it's 6 X 4 = 24 m/s2 , that's the final velocity after 4 seconds , Right ? va = ( v + v0 ) / 2 , So the avearge velocity is 12 m/s2
Yes, but the unit is m/s (velocity) (you multiplied a m/s2 x t s) = v m/s), So 24 m/s final velocity, 12m/s average velocity.

Colin19 said:
So in 4 seconds the Aircraft traveled 24 m?
If average velocity is 12 m/s and time is 4 seconds, how far did the aircraft tavel?

Sorry I'm a bit slow on understanding ,
So the answer would be 12X4 = 48 meters
The aircraft traveled 48 meters in 4 seconds
I greatly appreciate this help ,

OK, now part II. The craft maintains a constant velocity.
At the start of part II, it's traveling how fast? (based on the end part I), and how long is it traveling at this speed, resulting in what distant travelled?

BTW, this is an international board. We are happy to answer your questions, regardless of your name or nationality. You should feel free to be who you are.

Thanks Mr.Dave , should I re join by my real name " Yazeed " Or is it possible to change it from admins , I'm sorry I made such assumption ,
And I'm sorry for the lazy attitude I had .

Distance = velocity X time
Craft is traveling on the constant speed of 24 m/s " Final velocity "
Time is 12 seconds , So 12X24 = 288 m !
So adding to the first step , 288+48=336 m

For the third part, you are told it takes 7 seconds to slow down to a stop (0 m/s), and you know the initial velocity is 24 m/s. What is the rate of deceleration (retardation)?

Colin19 said:
Should I re join by my real name " Yazeed "
A lot of members on this board use nicknames, so Colin19 is fine. You can ask an admin to change this to your real name if you still want to change it.

Last edited:
Ok ,
acceleration = Final velocity/time
24/7 = 3.42 m\s2 ?

Last edited:
So How can I calculate Distance ?

Colin19 said:
Ok ,
acceleration = Final velocity/time
24/7 = 3.42 m\s2 ?

Colin19 said:
So How can I calculate Distance ?
The same way you did for the intial acceleration, average velocity times the 7 seconds it took to stop. Actually you didn't need to calculate the deceleration in this case, since you only need to determine average velocity, which you've already done before (it's the same for deceleration as acceleration).

Oh Ok , I thoght it would be the same but I hesitated and assumed stuff ,
So with the same concept applied
The avearage velocity X Time = Distanse
12 X 7 = 84 meters .
Adding all distance findings
48+288+84= 420 m
So I can say that the distance the Aircraft traveled is 420 m

Yes, you got it Yazeed :-)

You won't believe how happy I'm , I thank you all greatly ,
This is truly beneficial ,
I came here looking for a shortcut , but I actually end up learning
I'm grateful to all who helped me !
I'm excited to go for more than a pass now , I got couple more questions in this practice papers to crack which I'll be posting later on .

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the distance an aircraft has travelled?

The distance an aircraft has travelled can be calculated by multiplying its speed by the time it has been travelling.

2. What is the formula for calculating the distance an aircraft has travelled?

The formula for calculating the distance an aircraft has travelled is distance = speed x time.

3. How do you measure the speed of an aircraft?

The speed of an aircraft can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as radar or GPS, which track the movement of the aircraft.

4. What units are used to measure the distance an aircraft has travelled?

The distance an aircraft has travelled is typically measured in kilometers (km) or nautical miles (nm).

5. Can the distance an aircraft has travelled be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as wind speed and direction can affect the distance an aircraft has travelled. This is known as ground speed, which is the actual speed of the aircraft relative to the ground.