What formula would i use this for this HW problem? (Aircraft carrier jet launch)

• Thread starter Young Bull
  • Start date
New user has been reminded to use the Template when posting schoolwork problems
*This is an introductory physics class for non-math majors.

A typical jet fighter launched from an aircraft carrier reaches a take-off speed of 175mph over a distance of 310 ft.

1. assuming the acceleration is constant, what is the jet's acceleration in (meters per second)?

2) how long does i take to launch the jet?

For number 1, i just covert mph to m/s right? (i'm aware it doesn't say m/s^2 - might be a mistake from professor) I just used dimensional analysis

310 ft= 94.88 meters. And number 2, is that simply D=RT? 94.88=78.28T? solve for t?

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
what is the jet's acceleration in (meters per second)?
Acceleration has units of m/s^2, not m/s. Is that a typo, or does your question say exactly that?

Also, it's best to start with the kinematic equations for motion with constant acceleration. Can you list what they are?

Given acceleration a, v(t) = ? and x(t) = ?

Likes CWatters
Why convert any thing to SI units? The problem data is all in US Customary units; keep it there. If necessary, convert the final result to SI if the problem actually states SI units for the result.

mph stands for miles per hour, not meters per hour.

Please list the SUVAT equations you are familiar with.