Calculate the electric potential of a sphere

In summary, for part (a) the electric potential of the inner sphere in reference to a point in the infinity is 600V and for part (b) the total charge of the spherical shell is -0.5nC.
doktorwho

Homework Statement

A metal sphere of radius ##a=1cm## is charged with ##Q_a=1nC##. Around a sphere is placed a spherical shell of inner radius ##b=2cm## and outer radius ##c=3cm##. The electrical potential of the shell in refenrence to a point in the infinity is ##V=150V##. The spheres are in a vacuum. Calculate:
a) The electric potential of the inner sphere in reference to a point in the infinity
b) The total charge of the spherical shell

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
Im going to give you the results straight away so you can help me faster.
a) ##600V##
b) ##-0.5nC##
The first one i don't know how to start but the b) part i tried like this:
##V=\frac{Q}{4πξ_oR}## where ##R=C## and got 0.5 but i don't get the ##-## part. I don't understand this problem..Can you help?

Physics news on Phys.org
doktorwho said:

Homework Statement

A metal sphere of radius ##a=1cm## is charged with ##Q_a=1nC##. Around a sphere is placed a spherical shell of inner radius ##b=2cm## and outer radius ##c=3cm##. The electrical potential of the shell in refenrence to a point in the infinity is ##V=150V##. The spheres are in a vacuum. Calculate:
a) The electric potential of the inner sphere in reference to a point in the infinity
b) The total charge of the spherical shell

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
Im going to give you the results straight away so you can help me faster.
a) ##600V##
b) ##-0.5nC##
The first one i don't know how to start but the b) part i tried like this:
##V=\frac{Q}{4πξ_oR}## where ##R=C## and got 0.5 but i don't get the ##-## part. I don't understand this problem..Can you help?

Hi doktorwho! :oldsmile:

For (b) you calculated the total enclosed charge, which is indeed +0.5 nC. Since the inner sphere carries 1 nC, the outer spherical shell must have -0.5 nC.

Likes doktorwho
If the sphere and the shell are made of metal (a conductor), the electrical potential is constant in them. Use Gauss's law to determine the electric field at different radii between the sphere and the outer shell, and then integrate to find the potential difference between the sphere and the shell.

Likes doktorwho
hilbert2 said:
If the sphere and the shell are made of metal (a conductor), the electrical potential is constant in them. Use Gauss's law to determine the electric field at different radii between the sphere and the outer shell, and then integrate to find the potential difference between the sphere and the shell.
Can i do it like this?:
##V_a+∫Edl+V_c=V_{inner}##
Basically I am adding up the potential of the sphere at surface, the potential difference between point b and point a and the potential of the whole. Simply:
##V_b+V_c=V_{inner}## where i use the respective Q-s. Since the potential of the ##V_c=\frac{0.5}{4πε_or_c}## and the ##V_b## is proportional to ##V_c## ##V_b=2*\frac{3}{2}*V_c=450V## i get 600. Is this correct thinking?

^ yes, that seems to be correct.

Likes doktorwho

What is the formula for calculating the electric potential of a sphere?

The formula for calculating the electric potential of a sphere is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge of the sphere in Coulombs, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere in meters.

How do I determine the charge of the sphere?

The charge of the sphere can be determined by using the formula Q = ne, where Q is the charge in Coulombs, n is the number of excess or deficient electrons on the sphere, and e is the elementary charge (1.60 x 10^-19 C).

Can the electric potential of a sphere be negative?

Yes, the electric potential of a sphere can be negative if the sphere has a net negative charge. This indicates that the electric field is directed towards the center of the sphere.

What is the unit for electric potential?

The unit for electric potential is volts (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

Is the electric potential of a sphere affected by the size of the sphere?

Yes, the electric potential of a sphere is affected by the size of the sphere. As the distance from the center of the sphere increases, the electric potential decreases. This means that a larger sphere will have a lower electric potential compared to a smaller sphere with the same charge.