1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the expected frequencies of 3,4,5 and 6 eggs

1. Dec 30, 2005 #1
    Hello, i found one question really difficult and I cant solve it. Please help.

Six hens are observed over a period of 20 days and the number of eggs laid each day is summarised in the following table:

No. of eggs: 3 4 5 6
    No. of days: 2 2 10 6

This can be considered as a binomial model, with n=6, for the total number of eggs laid in a day. State the probability that a randomly chosen hen lays an egg on a given day. Calculate the expected frequencies of 3,4,5 and 6 eggs.

I know the probability required is 5/6. but i dont know how to find the expected frequencies.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You said it is a binomial distribution so the frequencies (probabilities) are

[tex]p_j = \binom {6}{j} \left( \frac {5}{6} \right)^j \left( \frac {1}{6} \right)^{6-j}[/tex]
  4. Dec 30, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Tide, that's assuming the base probability is 5/6 which is one of the things Clari needs to determine.

Clari, you should know that the expected value for a binomial distribution with base probability p is np. The 6 chickens laid a total of 100 eggs in 20 days or an average of 5 eggs per day. Assuming that the sample does reflect the actual expected value, np= 6p= 5 so p= 5/6.

Now use Tides's suggestion to answer the rest of the problem.
  5. Dec 30, 2005 #4
    Thanks for your help,Tide and HallsofIvy ^-^
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?