1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the extreme value of functional

1. Mar 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have functional ##I(y)=\int_{0}^{2}{y}'(2+e^x{y}')dx## where ##y\in C^1(\mathbb{R})## and ##y(0)=0##. Calculate the extreme value.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am having some troubles here... :/

From Euler-Lagrange equation we get ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial y}-\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}\frac{\partial L}{\partial {y}'}=0## where first part is obviously ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial y}=0## and the second part tells me that ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial {y}'}=konst.=C##.

So ##(2+e^x{y}')+{y}'e^x=C##

##e^x{y}'=\frac{C}{2}-1=D##, where D is just another constant...

##{y}'=De^{-x}## so

##y=-De^{-x}+E##

Now we know that ##y(0)=0## so ##y(0)=-D+E=0## therefore ##E=D##. The second condition says that ##\frac{\partial }{\partial {y}'}L(2)=0##.

Than ##(2+e^x{y}')+{y}'e^x=0## so ##{y}'=0##.

From ##y=-De^{-x}+E## we get that ##{y}'=De^{-x}##, therefore ##{y}'(2)=De^{-2}=0## and this gives me ##D=0## (remember that ##E=D##).

So everything together tells that ##y## is actually ##y\equiv 0## and also ##I(y)=0##.

I seriously doubt that this is right? :/

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Where do you get this condition from? All that's stated in the problem is that [itex]y(0)= 0[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] is once continuously differentiable. We know that [itex]\dfrac{\partial L}{\partial y'} = 2(1 + D)[/itex] is constant, but without more information we cannot determine that constant (although we can choose it such that [itex]dI/dD = 0[/itex]).

Assuming you've omitted that condition from the problem, your error is here:
    If [itex]\left.\dfrac{\partial L}{\partial y'}\right|_{(x=2)} = 2(1 + e^2 y'(2)) = 0[/itex] then [itex]y'(2) = -e^{-2} \neq 0[/itex].

4. Mar 6, 2014 #3
    That's something that should be true in general, at least my professor said so. So if one condition ##y(a)=c## is given the other one is ##\frac{\partial }{\partial {y}'}L=0## calculated for ##x=b##. We've probably also proven that.

You are right. My mistake. Taking that into account, ##D=E=-1## so ##y(x)=e^{-x}-1##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted