Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the location of something

1. May 7, 2012 #1
    is it possible to calculate the location of say my right hand and track its motion without using any cameras.(using radio triangulation,accelerometer,etc..) i would like to have some sort of ground sensor. and i only want to track that one object not several, i would like to know the distance from the sensor, height of object being tracked, location relative to the location of the ground sensor.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2012 #2
  4. May 8, 2012 #3

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

I have several ideas for you. But first, can you use a transponder attached to the object? What will the maximum detection/tracking range be? Will you please describe what you are aiming for in some greater detail? A designer needs "design specifications" or "anticapated operating characteristics" to make a reasonable proposal.

5. May 8, 2012 #4
  6. May 8, 2012 #5
    on the issue of sonar. it seems very intruiging but there may be a few probelems i need the tracker to be a small bar roughly 1"x4" and can sonar be used to track a single body part?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook