Calculate the magnitude in Newtons of the normal force

In summary, the weight of the plank and the ground exert a force of 19.8N on the plank when it is in equilibrium at 74°. If I set the point where it contacts the ground as the pivot point, I get a value of T(of COM) - t(of wall) = 0, which indicates that the normal force is equal to the weight of the plank.
anap40

Homework Statement

A plank, of length L = 3.7 m and mass M = 7.0 kg, rests on the ground and on a frictionless roller at the top of a wall of height h = 1.70 m (see the figure). The center of gravity of the plank is at its center. The plank remains in equilibrium for any value of θ >= 74° but slips if θ < 74°. Calculate the magnitude in Newtons of the force exerted by the roller on the plank when θ = 74°.

I got this part, the force is 19.8N

Continuation: Calculate the magnitude in Newtons of the normal force exerted by ground on the plank when θ = 74°.

I get stuck here.

Homework Equations

T=Ia

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the torque down that goes thrugh the center of mass of the plank.( the center of mass is just above the corner of the ledge that the plank is leaning on)
I also calculated the torque that the edge of the wall exerts on the board in the opposite direction.

If I set the point where it contacts the ground as the pivot point, I get
T(of COM) - t(of wall) = 0

The only problem that the above is not true. I know that I am missing something but I am not sure what it is.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to add the picture, its preatty much impossible to do w/o the pic.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/1950/prob09aur2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
anap40 said:
Continuation: Calculate the magnitude in Newtons of the normal force exerted by ground on the plank when θ = 74°.
Don't forget the conditions for translational equilibrium. In particular, the sum of the vertical forces must be zero.
If I set the point where it contacts the ground as the pivot point, I get
T(of COM) - t(of wall) = 0

The only problem that the above is not true. I know that I am missing something but I am not sure what it is.
Why do you think it's not true? Since the plank is in equilibrium, torques about any point must equal zero. (It might not be helpful, but it's true.)

But the only vertical forces are the forcce of gravity and the normal force right?

I also went back and checked and T(COM) - T (of wall) does equal 0.

But I am still stuck, I can't simply say that the normal force is equal to the weight because, the torque from the COM is will cause the normal force to be less that that, but I am not sure how to figure out how much less

anap40 said:
But the only vertical forces are the forcce of gravity and the normal force right?
No. The force exerted by the roller also has a vertical component.

anap40 said:
I also went back and checked and T(COM) - T (of wall) does equal 0.
Good.

Thanks again doc, for some reason I just figured that the roller was only a horizontal component. It turns out that the force is actually perpendicular to plank.

1. What is the normal force?

The normal force is a type of contact force that acts between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is always perpendicular to the surface and prevents objects from passing through each other.

2. How is the magnitude of the normal force calculated?

The magnitude of the normal force can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma). In the case of the normal force, the acceleration is the acceleration due to gravity (g), and the mass is the weight of the object. Therefore, the magnitude of the normal force can be calculated as F=mg.

3. What are the units for the magnitude of the normal force?

The units for the magnitude of the normal force are Newtons (N), which is a unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).

4. Can the magnitude of the normal force be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of the normal force can be negative if the object is accelerating downwards or if it is in a state of free fall. In this case, the normal force would be equal to the weight of the object minus any other forces acting on it.

5. How does the magnitude of the normal force affect an object's motion?

The magnitude of the normal force affects an object's motion by balancing out other forces acting on the object. If the normal force is greater than the force of gravity, the object will accelerate upwards. If the normal force is less than the force of gravity, the object will accelerate downwards. If the normal force is equal to the force of gravity, the object will remain at rest.