1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the magnitude of the gravitational force

1. Oct 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Four 9.0 kg spheres are located at the corners of a square of side 0.72 m. Calculate the magnitude of the gravitational force on one sphere due to the other three.

2. Relevant equations

Fg=G(M1)(M2)/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured out the force the each of the two spheres perpendicular to the corner one by doing Fg=[(6.67e-11)(9)(9)]/[.72^2]=1.04e-8. then i used the pathageon theorum to find the radius to the sphere in the opposite corner of the square by doing square root of .72^2+.72^2=1.02. I am now having trouble finding the force of the two corner balls pulling at a 45 degree angle towards the middle of the square.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

For the 3rd force at a distance of 1.02 m... apply the force formula to get the magnitude of the force... ie Gm1m2/(1.02)^2

then what is the x-component of this force... what is the y-component of this force...

add up the x-compoents of all 3 forces.

add up the y-components of all 3 force.

then you have the x-component and y-component of the net force... get the magnitude...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?