Calculate gravitational acceleration without mass of both objects

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of calculating the acceleration of a meteoroid due to the varying force of gravity based on its mass. The idea of using the equation F=m*a is mentioned, and the average acceleration is calculated using this equation and the known gravitational force at the surface of the Earth. However, it is acknowledged that this is not the final calculation and it is unclear what equation to use to relate the known speed at a certain position with the unknown speed at another position. The conversation ends with a hint to consider conservation of a certain quantity.
IAmBadAtMath
Homework Statement
A meteroide travelling at earth at a speed of 8.5km/s. It is currently 12R (earth radius) from the center of the Earth. At which speed does the meteroite crash into Earth?
Relevant Equations
Earths Radius (R) = 6,4*10^24m
Mass of earth (m2): 6*10^24kg
Mass of meteroide (m1): ?
𝜸 = Gravitational constant (6.67408*10^-11Nm^2/kg^2)
r: radius( in this case 12R)

Fg = 𝜸(m1*m2)/r^2
F=m*a
I haven't gotten anywhere. I don't find it possible to calculate this since Fg varies based on the Mass of the meteroide and because of that it will change acceleration. I thought about trying to remove m1 by making F=m*a the same as 𝜸(m1*m2)/r^2 since I think they are the same force.

m*a= 𝜸(m1*m2)/r^2
a = 𝜸*m2/r^2

I then thought about getting the avarage acceleration out of it since its acceleration will increase the closer it gets to earth
𝜸*6*10^24kg/(12* 6.4*10^24m)^2 = 0.068m/s^2
gravity at the surface of the Earth is 9.81 m/s^2

(0.068m/s^2 + 9.81m/s^2)/2 = 4.9m/s^2

At this point i don't know what I can do anymore. I have what I think is the avarage acceleration for the meteroide, but I don't know what to do next and I honestly don't even know If I have calculated right at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are trying to relate a known speed at position 12 R with an unknown speed at position R. What kind of equation would do that? Hint: What quantity is conserved?

1. How do you calculate gravitational acceleration without knowing the mass of both objects?

To calculate gravitational acceleration without knowing the mass of both objects, you can use the formula a = G * (m1 + m2) / r^2, where G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2), m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between the two objects. This formula is derived from Newton's law of universal gravitation.

2. Can gravitational acceleration be negative?

No, gravitational acceleration cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the acceleration due to the force of gravity between two objects.

3. How does the distance between two objects affect the gravitational acceleration?

The gravitational acceleration between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the objects increases, the gravitational acceleration decreases.

4. Can you calculate gravitational acceleration without using the gravitational constant?

No, the gravitational constant is a necessary part of the formula for calculating gravitational acceleration. It is a universal constant that relates the mass and distance of two objects to the force of gravity between them.

5. Is gravitational acceleration the same for all objects?

No, the gravitational acceleration experienced by an object depends on the mass and distance of the other object it is interacting with. The larger the mass and closer the distance, the greater the gravitational acceleration will be.