Calculating Radionuclide (243 Am3+) in a solution

• Thread starter basicwolves
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving UV-visible spectroscopy on 243Am3+ in a 1 M HClO4 solution with a 1 cm path length cuvette and a total volume of 2.5 mL. The absorbance at 500 nm is 0.35. The equations A = ebC and e = molar absorptivity are mentioned, but the attempt at solving the problem was unsuccessful due to a lack of information. The solution concentration of Am cannot be determined based on the given information.
basicwolves

Homework Statement

There is an UV-Visible experiment on 243Am3+ in 1 M HClO4 with a 1 cm path length
cuvette and a total volume of 2.5 mL. The absorbance near 500 nm is 0.35. What is the solution concentration of Am

Homework Equations

A = ebC

A = absorbance
b = path length
C = concentration
e = molar absorptivity

The attempt at a solution
I first calculated the molar absorptivity using the absorbance, concentration of 1M HCLO4 and the path length and right off the bat, I knew that this method is wrong (e=0.35, same as the abs reading). I then use the A=ebC equation, but then again this method is wrong because it gave me the same concentration of Am to the concentration of HCLO4. Please help guiding me through this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is not enough information to solve the problem as stated.

Likes epenguin

What is a radionuclide and why is it important to calculate its presence in a solution?

A radionuclide is an unstable form of an element that emits radiation as it decays into a more stable form. It is important to calculate its presence in a solution because it can have harmful effects on living organisms and the environment, and it is also commonly used in medical and industrial applications.

What is the formula for calculating the amount of radionuclide (243 Am3+) in a solution?

The formula for calculating the amount of radionuclide (243 Am3+) in a solution is: mass of sample (g) x activity (Bq/g) x volume (mL) x dilution factor = amount of radionuclide (Bq)

How is the activity of a radionuclide (243 Am3+) measured?

The activity of a radionuclide (243 Am3+) is measured using a device called a gamma counter, which detects the gamma rays emitted by the radionuclide. The activity is typically measured in becquerels (Bq), which represents the number of decays per second.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating radionuclide (243 Am3+) in a solution?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of calculating radionuclide (243 Am3+) in a solution, including errors in measuring the volume of the solution, contamination from other radioactive sources, and the decay of the radionuclide during the measurement process. It is important to carefully control and account for these factors to ensure accurate results.

What precautions should be taken when handling radionuclide (243 Am3+) solutions?

When handling radionuclide (243 Am3+) solutions, it is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and a lab coat, to prevent contact with the skin. The solutions should also be handled in a well-ventilated area and stored in secure containers to prevent accidental exposure. Proper disposal methods should also be followed to prevent contamination of the environment.