Calculate the moment of inertia of a right triangle

In summary, the moment of inertia of a right triangle with constant area density, rotated around an axis running along side 'h,' is given by ( (ph)/4 )b^4, where 'p' is the area density, 'h' is the height, and 'b' is the width of the triangle. This is found by integrating the equation r^4*dm and using the limits of integration from r=0 to r=b.
homeslice64

Homework Statement

A right triangle has height 'h' and width 'b.' The right triangle has a constant area density. Calculate the moment of inertia of the triangle rotated around an axis that runs along side 'h.'

Homework Equations

I = integral(r^2*dm) where 'r' is distance from the axis

The Attempt at a Solution

equation of hypotenuse is (h/b)

r^2 dm = r^2 * p * dA where p is area density and dA is the area of the rectangles.

= r^2 * p * (h/b)r * dr = r^3 * p * (h/b) * dr --> integrate =
( (ph)/(3b) )r^3 with the limits of integration being from r=0 to r=b so:
( (ph)/3 )b^2 - 0 so I = ( (ph)/3 )b^2

But all my friends said I was wrong so can someone please tell me why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi homeslice64! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
homeslice64 said:
= r^2 * p * (h/b)r * dr = r^3 * p * (h/b) * dr --> integrate =
( (ph)/(3b) )r^3 with the limits of integration being from r=0 to r=b so:
( (ph)/3 )b^2 - 0 so I = ( (ph)/3 )b^2

erm :redface: … ∫r3dr isn't r3/3 :wink:

Your approach is correct, however, your final answer is incorrect. The moment of inertia should have units of mass times length squared, whereas your answer has units of length squared. This is because you forgot to include the density in your final answer. The correct moment of inertia would be (phb/3) * b^2, where p is the area density. This can also be written as (p/3) * h * b^3, which has the correct units.

1. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a right triangle?

The formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a right triangle is I = (1/36) * b * h * (b^2 + h^2), where b is the base of the triangle and h is the height.

2. How do you determine the centroid of a right triangle?

The centroid of a right triangle can be found by taking the average of the x-coordinates and the average of the y-coordinates of the three vertices. This point will be the intersection of the medians of the triangle.

3. Can the moment of inertia of a right triangle be negative?

No, the moment of inertia of a right triangle cannot be negative as it is a measure of an object's resistance to change in rotational motion and cannot have a negative value.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a right triangle change with respect to its dimensions?

The moment of inertia of a right triangle is directly proportional to the base and height of the triangle. This means that as the dimensions of the triangle increase, the moment of inertia also increases.

5. Is the moment of inertia of a right triangle affected by the position of its centroid?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a right triangle is affected by the position of its centroid. The further away the centroid is from the axis of rotation, the higher the moment of inertia will be.