Moment of inertia of a regular triangle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 3K views
Who_w
Messages
3
Reaction score
2
Homework Statement
Calculate the moment of inertia of a triangle relatively OY
Relevant Equations
Given the height of the triangle
Please, I need help! I need to calculate the moment of inertia of a triangle relatively OY. I have an idea to split my triangle into rods and use Huygens-Steiner theorem, but after discussed this exercise with my friend, I have a question: which of these splits are right (picture 1 and 2)? Or maybe my idea is wrong?
 
Attachments
  • q1.PNG
    q1.PNG
    2.7 KB · Views: 227
  • q2.PNG
    q2.PNG
    2.7 KB · Views: 218
Physics news on Phys.org
Each can work, but it would be more natural to use the one where the strip is parallel to the axis.
 
I found a mistake in the first split, thanks a lot! I would be very grateful if you tell me where the error is (attached the file). With another split, I got a different answer. I solved it 3 times in this way, but did not find an error.
 
Attachments
  • question.jpg
    question.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Who_w said:
I found a mistake in the first split, thanks a lot! I would be very grateful if you tell me where the error is (attached the file). With another split, I got a different answer. I solved it 3 times in this way, but did not find an error.
(l-x)dx? Both of those distances are parallel to the x axis. It is not the area of a rectangle in the figure.
Also, you seem to be taking a strip parallel to the x axis, which is not what I recommended. Are you just checking it can be done both ways?
 
haruspex said:
(l-x)dx? Both of those distances are parallel to the x axis. It is not the area of a rectangle in the figure.
Also, you seem to be taking a strip parallel to the x axis, which is not what I recommended. Are you just checking it can be done both ways?
Oh! I understood my mistake! Thank you a lot :)
Yes, I'm tried to check both ways. The first way worked (strip parallel to the y axis), but it was really interesting for me why I couldn't to solve it the second way.
Thanks again!
 
Who_w said:
Oh! I understood my mistake! Thank you a lot :)
Yes, I'm tried to check both ways. The first way worked (strip parallel to the y axis), but it was really interesting for me why I couldn't to solve it the second way.
Thanks again!
I commend your inquisitiveness.