Calculate the moment of inertia of this sphere

In summary, the moment of inertia of a sphere with a solid wooden ball of uniform density 800kg/m^3 and radius 0.20 m and a thin coating of lead foil with area density 20kg/m^2 is equal to 2/5 of the total mass of the sphere multiplied by the square of its radius. This can be calculated using the formula I = (2/5)MR^2, where M is the total mass of the sphere and R is the radius. It is important to note that the mass of the lead foil should be considered separately from the mass of the wooden ball, as they have different moments of inertia. Additionally, it is important to use the correct formula for the moment of inertia
Peach

Homework Statement

A sphere consists of a solid wooden ball of uniform density 800kg/m^3 and radius 0.20 m and is covered with a thin coating of lead foil with area density 20kg/m^2

Calculate the moment of inertia of this sphere about an axis passing through its center.

Homework Equations

I_cm = m(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I took the volume formula of the sphere which is 4/3*pi*r^3 to get the volume and then multiply by its density to get the mass of the solid ball inside the sphere.

2. Then I did the same with the lead coating, only using the surface area formula A = 4*pi*r^2

(This I'm not sure about because I don't understand the picture. Is the solid ball centered in the sphere? Because I took the radius to be .20m assuming that it is and that it takes on the shape of the sphere...)

3. I combined the mass to get total mass and then multiply with the radius (.20m) with respect to the x and y axis.

But yeah, it's wrong. Someone pls guide me...somehow. :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yeah, it's just a wooden ball with a coating of lead on it, that's all. A "ball" is just the solid volume enclosed by a sphere anyway.

2. The formula [itex] I = mr^2 [/itex] only applies to a point mass of perp. distance r from the axis about which it is rotating! Here you have a continuous distribution of masses, not just one point mass. To me, that suggests that you have to integrate in order to calculate I (unless if you can use the spherical symmetry and uniform density to make a simplification, I don't know).

Edit:

But for constant density, the integral would be trivial, wouldn't it? Hrmm...

[tex] dI = r^2 dm = r^2 \rho dV [/tex]

[tex] I = \int \! \! \! \int \! \! \! \int_V r^2 \rho dV = \rho \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{0}^{0.20} (r^2) r^2 \sin \theta dr d\theta d\phi [/tex]

I hope I'm doing this right. Not sure what to do about the lead foil...it must be pretty simple but I'm tired right now...

Last edited:
Edit 2: I just realized that this is the introductory physics forum! Hrmmm...maybe the question is supposed to be simpler than this. Do you have any canned formulas for the moments of inertia of various shapes? That integral would lead me to believe that the result is

[tex] I_{\textrm{sphere}} = \frac{3}{5}MR^2 [/tex]

where M is the total mass of the sphere, and R is the radius. But my first year physics textbook says that:

[tex] I_{\textrm{sphere}} = \frac{2}{5}MR^2 [/tex]

Huh?! Close but no cigar...

Anyway, the point is that you need to find the formulae for the moments of inertia of a solid and a hollow sphere, and used them to solve this problem. As you can see, these can be calculated using integrals in 3 dimensions (as I have just attempted), but the results for several common shapes are usually given in any first year physics textbook.

I got it! :D Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it. The formulas are in the book. I tried the formula for the sphere before but I just assumed that I could add the mass of the ball with the mass of the lead foil so I ignored the formula for the hollow sphere. :x

1. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a sphere?

The formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a sphere is I = (2/5) * M * r^2, where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the sphere, and r is the radius of the sphere.

2. How do you calculate the mass of a sphere?

The mass of a sphere can be calculated by multiplying its density by its volume. The formula for volume of a sphere is (4/3) * pi * r^3, where pi is approximately 3.14 and r is the radius of the sphere.

3. What units are used for moment of inertia?

The units for moment of inertia will depend on the units used for mass and radius. However, the most commonly used unit for moment of inertia is kilogram-meter squared (kg-m^2).

4. Can the moment of inertia of a sphere change?

The moment of inertia of a sphere can change if the mass or radius of the sphere changes. However, if the mass and radius remain constant, the moment of inertia will also remain constant.

5. What is the moment of inertia used for?

The moment of inertia is used to determine the rotational inertia of a rotating object. It is an important physical property that describes an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion.