1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the normalization of a Particle in a box

1. Feb 8, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Particle in a box

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle is described by the wave function [tex]\Psi(x)=Ae^{(-bx^2)}[/tex]. Calculate the normalization factor A.

2. Relevant equations & 3. The attempt at a solution

So, to normalize [tex]\psi(x)[/tex], we integrate the probability ([tex]\Psi(x)^2[/tex]) over the entire area (this is in an infinite potential well, so let's say the particle is between x=0 and x=L) and set this equal to 1. Doing this, we have:

I feel pretty comfortable with calculus but I cannot figure out how to evaluate this integral. I was able to find this in an integral table, but it wasn't much help:

[tex]\int e^{ax^2} dx = -\frac{i\sqrt{\pi}}{2\sqrt{a}}\text{erf}\left(ix\sqrt{a}\right)[/tex]

I do not recall learning anything about the error function (erf), and google wasn't much help. How can I evaluate this integral? Should I expand it in series? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2008 #2
    Is this the right equation or is there an 'i' on the exponential?

If not, try integrating a power series expansion of 'e^(x)'.

recall that if e^(-ix), then the normalization would be the integral of the wavefunction times its complex conjugate e^(ix), which would be much simpler.
  4. Feb 8, 2008 #3
    it is not imaginary, unfortunately...I will try the power series expansion now though
  5. Feb 8, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

[itex](e^x)^2[/itex] is [itex]e^{2x}[/itex], not [itex]e^{x^2}[/itex]. And if you're in an infinite potential well, shouldn't the wavefunction vanish at the boundaries?
  6. Feb 8, 2008 #5
    I apologize, that was a typo - it's fixed now. Yes the wavefunction will vanish at the boundaries...but since we know that our particle will be somewhere between x=0 and x=L, those are the limits when finding the normalization factor, A. Alternatively, the probability that we will find the particle anywhere should be 1...since our particle can only be between x=0 and x=L, these are the limits of the normalization integral.
  7. Feb 9, 2008 #6

The point is that the wavefunction you gave can not represent a particle in a square well because it does not vanish at the boundaries. My bet is that the question is about a free particle in which case you must integrate from minus infinity to plus infinity and the integral is easy to do (or look it up).
  8. Feb 9, 2008 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I also say that the wave function that you posted in the original post [tex]\Psi(x)=Ae^{(-bx^2)}[/tex]
    Can't represent a particle in a infinite deep box,
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?