Particle on a ring (components in the postion basis)

In summary: Bigr)$$In summary, the conversation discusses two tasks, b and g, related to calculating the state of a particle on a ring. The individual steps and calculations for task b are provided, but the individual is stuck and unsure how to proceed. For task g, the individual is also stuck and seeking help. They continue to work through the problem by changing a summation index and reducing the sum to one term. The conversation ends with the individual thanking the other person for their help.
Lambda96
Homework Statement
see screenshots
Relevant Equations
none
Hi,

I have problems with the task part b and g

To solve the task, we have received the following information

Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-14 um 19.14.36.png

Task b
Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-14 um 20.03.21.png

First, I wrote down what the state ##\psi## looks like

$$\psi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \sum\limits_{k}^{} \psi_k$$
$$\psi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \sum\limits_{k}^{} \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \sum\limits_{j}^{} e^{ikaj} \vec{e}_j$$

Then I to calculate ##\psi^j=\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}##.

$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\vec{e}_j^{\dagger} \cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \sum\limits_{k}^{} \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \sum\limits_{j}^{} e^{ikaj} \vec{e}_j$$

$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\vec{e}_j^{\dagger} \cdot \frac{1}{N} \sum\limits_{k}^{} \sum\limits_{j}^{} e^{ikaj} \vec{e}_j$$
Now I unfortunately do not know how to proceed further. But I don't understand, if all momentums are equally probable, why the particle should be 100% at location N and not at other locations like 1 and 2 and so on. What makes the point N so special that the particle should be there in contrast to the other points?

To solve task g, we have received the following information
Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-14 um 19.25.16.png

Task g
Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-14 um 19.15.43.png

If I understood the task correctly, then the wave function is collapsed, to the eigenvector of the momentum operator, more precisely to ##\psi_0##. The wave function has with 100% the eigenvalue of ##\psi_0## after the uncertainty principle, the uncertainty would have to become extremely large concerning the position, which means that the particle can be everywhere on the ring and thus the probability for each position is equally large.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lambda96 said:
$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\vec{e}_j^{\dagger} \cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \sum\limits_{k}^{} \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \sum\limits_{j}^{} e^{ikaj} \vec{e}_j$$
In the second sum on the right, you should change the summation index ##j## to some other symbol so that the summation index is not confused with the ##j## in ##\vec{e}_j^{\dagger}##. For example, you could write $$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\vec{e}_j^{\dagger} \cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \sum\limits_{k}^{} \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \sum\limits_{l}^{} e^{ikal} \vec{e}_l$$

Likes Lambda96
Thanks TSny for your help 👍, I have now changed the index of the summation from ##j## to ##l## and have now calculated the following.

$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\vec{e}_j^{\dagger} \cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \sum\limits_{k}^{} \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \sum\limits_{l}^{} e^{ikal} \vec{e}_l$$
$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\frac{1}{N} \sum\limits_{k}^{} \sum\limits_{l}^{} e^{ikal} \vec{e}_j^{\dagger} \cdot \vec{e}_l$$
$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\frac{1}{N} \sum\limits_{k}^{} \sum\limits_{l}^{} e^{ikal} \delta_{jl}$$
$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\frac{1}{N} \sum\limits_{k}^{} e^{ika} \delta_{j1}+e^{2ika} \delta_{j2}+ \ldots +e^{Nika} \delta_{jN}$$
$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\frac{1}{N} \Bigl( e^{ia} \delta_{j1}+e^{2ia} \delta_{j2}+ \ldots +e^{Nia} \delta_{jN}+e^{2a} \delta_{j1}+e^{4ia} \delta_{j2}+ \ldots +e^{2Nia} \delta_{jN}+ \ldots + e^{Nia} \delta_{j1}+e^{2Nia} \delta_{j2}+ \ldots +e^{N^2ika} \delta_{jN} \Bigr)$$

$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\frac{1}{N} \Bigl(\Bigl(e^{ia}+e^{2a} +\ldots+e^{Nia} \Bigr) \delta_{j1}+\Bigl( e^{2ia}+e^{4ia}+ \ldots +e^{2Nia} \Bigr)\delta_{j2}+ \ldots + \Bigl( e^{Nia}+e^{2Nia} + \ldots +e^{N^2ika} \Bigr)\delta_{jN}\Bigr)$$

Now I'm stuck 🙃

The individual entries in the brackets look almost like states ##\vec{\psi}_k##, i.e.

$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \Bigl(\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \Bigl(e^{ia}+e^{2a} +\ldots+e^{Nia} \Bigr) \delta_{j1}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \Bigl( e^{2ia}+e^{4ia}+ \ldots +e^{2Nia} \Bigr)\delta_{j2}+ \ldots + \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \Bigl( e^{Nia}+e^{2Nia} + \ldots +e^{N^2ika} \Bigr)\delta_{jN}\Bigr)$$

$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \Bigl(\vec{\psi}_1 \delta_{j1}+\vec{\psi}_2 \delta_{j2}+ \ldots + \vec{\psi}_N \delta_{jN}\Bigr)$$

Now does it mean that if, for example, ##\vec{e}_j=\vec{e}_2##, that only the state ##\braket{\vec{e}_2|\psi}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \Bigl(\vec{\psi}_2 \delta_{22}\Bigr)## remains and the particle is at location 2?

Lambda96 said:
$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\frac{1}{N} \sum\limits_{k}^{} \sum\limits_{l}^{} e^{ikal} \delta_{jl}$$
Good. Consider the sum $$ \sum\limits_{l}^{} e^{ikal} \delta_{jl}$$Since ##\delta_{jl}## equals zero for any ##l \neq j##, all of the terms in the summation are zero except for one term. So, the sum reduces to one term that can be written in terms of ##k##, ##a##, and ##j##.

Likes Lambda96 and vanhees71
Thanks TSny for your help 👍👍

Then I can write the term as follows

$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\frac{1}{N}\sum\limits_{k}^{} \sum\limits_{l}^{}e^{ikal} \delta_{jl}$$
$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\frac{1}{N}\sum\limits_{k}^{} e^{ikaj}$$
$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\frac{1}{N}\Bigl( e^{iaj}+e^{2iaj}+e^{3iaj}+ \ldots +e^{Niaj} \Bigr)$$

Lambda96 said:
$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\frac{1}{N}\sum\limits_{k}^{} \sum\limits_{l}^{}e^{ikal} \delta_{jl}$$
$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\frac{1}{N}\sum\limits_{k}^{} e^{ikaj}$$
$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\frac{1}{N}\Bigl( e^{iaj}+e^{2iaj}+e^{3iaj}+ \ldots +e^{Niaj} \Bigr)$$
Good, except the sum over ##k## does not go from ##k = 1## to ##k = N##. Recall that the values of ##k## are ##k = 2\pi n /L## for ##n = 0, 1, 2, ... , N-1##.

Likes Lambda96 and SammyS
Thanks again for your help TSny👍👍 👍, also thanks for the hint with the index ##k## 👍

Could I then write the second line as follows?$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\frac{1}{N}\sum\limits_{k}^{} e^{ikaj}$$

$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\frac{1}{N}\sum\limits_{n=0}^{N-1} e^{\frac{2i \pi n a j}{L}}$$

Lambda96 said:
Thanks again for your help TSny👍👍 👍, also thanks for the hint with the index ##k## 👍

Could I then write the second line as follows?$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\frac{1}{N}\sum\limits_{k}^{} e^{ikaj}$$

$$\braket{\vec{e}_j|\psi}=\frac{1}{N}\sum\limits_{n=0}^{N-1} e^{\frac{2i \pi n a j}{L}}$$
Yes, that looks right.

Likes Lambda96
Thanks for your help TSny 👍👍👍

You’re very welcome.

Likes Lambda96

1. What is a particle on a ring?

A particle on a ring is a simplified model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a particle confined to a one-dimensional circular path. It is often used to illustrate the properties of angular momentum and the quantization of energy levels.

2. How is the position of a particle on a ring described in the position basis?

In the position basis, the position of a particle on a ring is described by a wave function, which gives the probability amplitude of finding the particle at a specific position on the ring. This wave function is a complex-valued function that varies around the ring and is normalized such that the total probability of finding the particle anywhere on the ring is equal to 1.

3. What are the components of a particle on a ring in the position basis?

The components of a particle on a ring in the position basis are the eigenstates of the position operator. These are the wave functions that describe the probability of finding the particle at a specific position on the ring. They are typically represented by the Greek letter phi (ϕ) and are complex-valued functions.

4. How does the energy of a particle on a ring change with its position?

The energy of a particle on a ring is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values. As the particle moves around the ring, its energy remains constant, but the probability of finding it at different positions changes. This is due to the wave nature of the particle and the interference of its wave function at different points on the ring.

5. How does the angular momentum of a particle on a ring affect its behavior?

The angular momentum of a particle on a ring is a conserved quantity, meaning it remains constant throughout the particle's motion. This has important implications for the energy levels and wave functions of the particle, as they are dependent on the angular momentum. The quantization of angular momentum also leads to the quantization of energy levels in the particle on a ring system.