Calculate the position for a linear acutator

In summary, the conversation is about designing a hinge system for a hard lid on a pickup truck using linear actuators. The person is seeking advice on the ideal position and angle to push the lid and the importance of considering the center of mass in the design. They also discuss the practical location of the actuator and its effect on force rating and ease of use. Overall, the person is looking for a more calculative approach to the design process.
Apple&Orange
Hi everyone!

So I'm working on project where I have to design a hinge system for a hard lid that is fitted onto the back of a pickup truck.
In this system, I will be using 2x linear actuator(s) that will need to lift a total weight of roughly 95kg.
At the moment, I've got a selection of 600N, 900N, and 1200N single actuators to choose from.

upload_2017-3-7_8-32-34.png

upload_2017-3-7_8-34-6.png

In the past, I would figure the ideal position for the actuator via experimentation. However, I would like to tackle this problem through a more calculative approach. Having said this though...it has been a while since I've done any form of engineering calculation, and would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

From memory though, it seems like I would need to calculate the shear force and bending moment?

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just imagine that you were in the box and wanted to raise the lid . Where would be best place to push and at what angle would you push ?

Thanks Nidum

Would the best place to push the lid be at the very end of the lid?
As for the angle, would the ideal place be perpendicular to the surface of the lid?

Likes Nidum
In a practical design you will probably have to come a good way back towards the hinge when actually locating the actuator but keeping the line of action of the actuator as near as possible perpendicular to lid surface is definitely a good idea .

Likes Apple&Orange
Hey Nidum
Thanks for the feedback. Just so I am on the right track...

From a practical point of view, it would be best to have the actuator closer to the hinge the as shown below?

upload_2017-3-15_9-21-16.png

I am guessing this is more practical for the following reasons:
  • Less intrusive for people to load things at the back.
  • Less stroke length required for the actuator.
  • Less wire length required to connect the actuator to the car battery.
However, with the ideal position...

upload_2017-3-15_9-28-47.png

A lower force rating actuator can be used, but it turn, it has the opposite effects as having the actuator in the 'practical location'.

Would this be correct?

Additionally, I did a bit of revision regarding the physics behind this, and it seems like it has something to do with the Centre of Mass.
When the COM of the lid is the left hand side of the actuator (i.e. the ideal location), there is no opposing rotation when the person and/or the actuator attempts to lift the lid.
However, when the COM is on the right hand side of the actuator, (i.e. the practical location), there is opposing rotation, which will require more effort to lift the lid.

Is that a correct assumption to make?

1. How do you calculate the position for a linear actuator?

To calculate the position for a linear actuator, you will need to know the length of the actuator, the starting position, and the desired final position. You can then use the formula Position = (Final Position - Starting Position) / Length of Actuator to determine the position.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the position for a linear actuator?

The purpose of calculating the position for a linear actuator is to determine the distance the actuator needs to travel in order to reach a specific position. This is important for accurately controlling the movement of the actuator.

3. Can the position of a linear actuator be calculated manually?

Yes, the position of a linear actuator can be calculated manually using the formula mentioned in the first question. However, it is more efficient to use a computer program or controller to automatically calculate and control the position of the actuator.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated position for a linear actuator?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated position for a linear actuator. These include mechanical tolerances, external forces, and the resolution of the actuator's position sensor.

5. Is there a limit to the distance a linear actuator can travel?

Yes, there is a limit to the distance a linear actuator can travel based on its physical length. However, some actuators may also have a maximum or minimum position limit set by the manufacturer or controlled by a feedback system.