Gas Spring and Linear Actuator calculation....

In summary, the person is trying to build a welding workbench with a tilt top. He needs to find a reasonably priced linear actuator with a 51" travel path and more than capable lift force. He might add two gas springs to ease the lift force.
a_c_e
May I start by saying hello to all and that I have visited the site before, but have yet to create an account until now. With that said, I am having difficulty calculating proper numbers for a project I am designing. Mind you, it has been about seven years since I was in any physics or "advanced" physics classes; my job more so pertaining to electrical calculations.

Intro: The idea is a welding workbench with a tilt top on it. the top is 72" wide, 36" deep and 3.25" tall. There will be three hinges welded across the front edge. The combined weight of the 1/4" sheet on top, as well as the 3" of subframing will be approximately 300lbs (I'll explain why an approximation is acceptable in a moment). Now, in theory, the 300lbs is applied at the center of the bench top. I need the lift force to exceed this however because I will be jigging framing and parts on the workbench surface before raising the bench angle. Hence, the mostly irrelevant inaccuracy of the weight aforementioned.

Problem: Now, if I could find a reasonably priced linear actuator that had a 51" path of travel (hypotenuse of bench depth) and more than capable lift force, then I would not be here. However... I can find a reasonably priced 30" path of travel linear actuator (only needing 25" if I lift from the center of the bench top). This creates a substantially higher lift force though. So, in hopes of lessening the required force, I intend on adding two gas springs (dampers/struts) to aid in lifting. I am not entirely sure that I know how to calculate how much the gas springs will actually lift if they are mounted at hypothetical point A or point B, given a 250lb max lift force for the gas springs. I also plan on adding "stands" for 30, 45, 60 and 90 degrees (braces I can rest the bench on to alleviate the stress continuously being on the actuator and gas springs).

Here is an image I took of the draft (I have yet to add the subframe for the bench top), but it should give a better idea of what I am trying to explain.

welding%20table%20design%20image_zpsshfxat2e.png

As I am sure there may be more questions to better help those who assist me, please feel free to ask for any further elaboration. Thank you in advance.

Thank you. I wish I had more information, but with me being in the Navy; I have not yet been able to dedicate the proper time to resolving this. I may repost a better image once I am finished reworking my draft of the design.

Bump.

Update: I found a 24" stroke 1000lb lift linear actuator. However, I need to properly calculate it all still, including the gas springs.

Sorry, this is a bit too dangerous of a project for us to allow the discussion. Please find a good mechanical engineer in your local area, and ask for their help.

1. What is a gas spring?

A gas spring, also known as a gas strut or gas shock, is a type of mechanical actuator that uses compressed gas to provide force and motion. It consists of a cylinder with compressed gas and a piston that moves in response to changes in pressure, creating linear motion.

2. How is the force of a gas spring calculated?

The force of a gas spring can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the piston by the pressure of the compressed gas. This force is typically given in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

3. What is a linear actuator?

A linear actuator is a type of mechanical actuator that creates linear motion by converting energy into mechanical force. It typically consists of a motor, a lead screw or ball screw, and a nut that converts the rotary motion of the motor into linear motion of the screw.

4. How is the speed of a linear actuator calculated?

The speed of a linear actuator can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to travel that distance. This is typically given in units of meters per second (m/s) or feet per minute (ft/min).

5. What factors affect the calculation of gas spring and linear actuator parameters?

The calculation of gas spring and linear actuator parameters is affected by factors such as the size and weight of the load being moved, the required force and speed, the type of gas used in the spring, and the efficiency and accuracy of the actuator. Other factors may also include environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity, and the material and design of the components.