Calculate the recoil momentum and kinetic energy of the atom

In summary, the iron atom emits an X-ray photon with energy 6.4 keV. Its momentum and kinetic energy is 6.88E28 ev/kg.
tauristar

Homework Statement

Suppose an atom of iron at rest emits an X-ray photon of energy 6.4 keV. Calculate the “recoil” momentum and kinetic energy of the atom. (Hint: Do you expect to need classical or relativistic kinetic energy for the atom? Is the kinetic energy likely to be much smaller than the atom’s rest energy?)

Homework Equations

Where E is the energy of the photon (in this case 6.4 KeV), Ei is the initial energy of the atom (I believe it is zero), Ef is the final energy of the atom and K is the "recoil" kinetic energy of the atom.
E = (Ei − Ef) − K

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the atom starts at rest Ei =0 and so I get
6.4 Kev=(0-Ef)-K
6.4 Kev = -Ef-K

Not sure where to go from here

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Read the question. The problem starts with asking about the momentum.

PietKuip said:
Hint: Read the question. The problem starts with asking about the momentum.
I tried going that route using P=E/c so P=6.4 kev/c now what...?

So you know the momentum of the atom. Why not try to calculate its velocity?

PietKuip said:
So you know the momentum of the atom. Why not try to calculate its velocity?
Not sure what to use. pc/E=v/c --> v=pc^2/E so then v= (6.4 kev/c)c^2/(6.4 kev) --> v=c I feel like I'm going around in circles I have no clue what to do and I've been working on this for two days I just don't get this stuff. I feel like I'm missing a big piece of the puzzle and I just don't know where to find it.

I repeat my hint: read the question. Consider classical mechanics.

PietKuip said:
I repeat my hint: read the question. Consider classical mechanics.
classical mechanics Ki+Ui=Kf-Uf so (1/2) m vi^2 + mgyi = (1/2) m vf^2 + mgyf
initial Ki=0 the Ui and Uf are zero so that doesn't leave me with anything useful

Ok, go back one step: you know the momentum of the atom. Why not calculate its velocity? (That is what I wrote in message #4.)

PietKuip said:
Ok, go back one step: you know the momentum of the atom. Why not calculate its velocity? (That is what I wrote in message #4.)
I got v=c

You are overthinking this. Forget energy. What is the momentum of a particle in classical mechanics?

Likes PietKuip
mfb said:
You are overthinking this. Forget energy. What is the momentum of a particle in classical mechanics?
p=mv
if I plug in what i found for p then I get v= 6.88e28 eV/kg

mfb said:
6.4 keV = 9.3E-26 kg v
v= (6.4 keV)/(9.3E-26 kg) = 6.88E28 ev/kg

6.4 keV is not the momentum.

Likes PietKuip
mfb said:
6.4 keV is not the momentum.
I thought it was p=E/c and E (energy of the photon) is 6.4 keV which would give me p=6.4 keV/c

So convert to SI units. Or imperial, or whatever you prefer.

PietKuip said:
So convert to SI units. Or imperial, or whatever you prefer.
(6400 eV/c)(c/1eV)(5.34e-28 kg m/s)= 3.42e-24 kg m /s

tauristar said:
(6400 eV/c)(c/1eV)(5.34e-28 kg m/s)= 3.42e-24 kg m /s
Correct. I usually let Google handle unit conversions: https://www.google.se/webhp?q=6400+eV/c+=

Now what is the velocity of the iron atom?

You know p=mv.

You know p=3.42e-24 kg m /s
You know m.

What is v?

so the velocity is (3.42e-24 kg m /s)(1/9.27e-27)= 36.7 m/s

I know i close but not sure how to finish it off

oh i just need to convert!

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct.

Now you can calculate the recoil energy as you have mass and velocity.

You can edit your posts if you want to add something.

1. How do you calculate the recoil momentum of an atom?

The recoil momentum of an atom can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the atom by the velocity at which it recoils. This can be expressed as p = m * v, where p is the recoil momentum, m is the mass of the atom, and v is the recoil velocity.

2. What is the equation for calculating the kinetic energy of an atom's recoil?

The kinetic energy of an atom's recoil can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the atom, and v is the recoil velocity.

3. How does the mass of the atom affect its recoil momentum and kinetic energy?

The mass of the atom directly affects its recoil momentum and kinetic energy. A larger mass will result in a greater recoil momentum and kinetic energy, while a smaller mass will result in a smaller recoil momentum and kinetic energy.

4. What is the unit of measurement for recoil momentum and kinetic energy?

The unit of measurement for recoil momentum is typically expressed in kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s), while the unit for kinetic energy is typically expressed in joules (J).

5. How can the recoil momentum and kinetic energy of an atom be used in scientific research?

The recoil momentum and kinetic energy of an atom can be used in various scientific research areas, such as nuclear physics, atomic and molecular spectroscopy, and materials science. These values can provide important information about the behavior and properties of atoms, which can be useful in understanding and predicting various phenomena.