Can an atom absorb a photon, yet its total kinetic energy is decreased?

avicenna
Let's assume an atom consists of the nucleus and electrons as point particles. Take the inertial frame to be that of the fixed laboratory. Its total energy consists of the total kinetic and potential energy of the system of particles.If an electron absorbs a photon of energy E, the total energy of the atom increases by E. Can it happen that this increase in energy result in an increase of its total potential energy = E + Del(potential energy) and its total kinetic energy decreases by Del(potential energy).

Physics news on Phys.org
First, it is not the electron that absorbs the photon, it is the system nucleus + electron.

Otherwise, I am not sure what you are after. If you take the atom as a whole, then yes its kinetic energy can decrease. As the photon carries momentum, if the atom was moving initially in the direction opposite to the photon, then the kinetic energy of the atom will decrease.

If you are taking about the internal states, then the answer is no. The viral theorem tells you that for the Coulomb potential, you have
$$
2 \braket{T} = - \braket{V}
$$
so the magnitude of kinetic energy and the potential energy must vary in lockstep.

Likes dlgoff and DrChinese
"First, it is not the electron that absorbs the photon, it is the system nucleus + electron."

But the wiki seems to state otherwise:
(Bohr's theory)
"Electrons can only gain and lose energy by jumping from one allowed orbit to another, absorbing or emitting electromagnetic radiation with a frequency determined by the energy difference of the levels according to the Planck relation:

avicenna said:
Let's assume an atom consists of the nucleus and electrons as point particles. Take the inertial frame to be that of the fixed laboratory. Its total energy consists of the total kinetic and potential energy of the system of particles.If an electron absorbs a photon of energy E, the total energy of the atom increases by E. Can it happen that this increase in energy result in an increase of its total potential energy = E + Del(potential energy) and its total kinetic energy decreases by Del(potential energy).
If I understand your question, the answer is 'yes', it's the basic principle of laser cooling- cooling atoms via laser light.

Likes Spinnor, Dale and sophiecentaur
avicenna said:
"First, it is not the electron that absorbs the photon, it is the system nucleus + electron."

(Bohr's theory)
"Electrons can only gain and lose energy by jumping from one allowed orbit to another, absorbing or emitting electromagnetic radiation with a frequency determined by the energy difference of the levels according to the Planck relation:
Spectroscopy applies to atoms, not to electrons. It's very much the atom that is absorbing and emitting radiation in discrete wavelengths.

Likes Dale and sophiecentaur
avicenna said:
(Bohr's theory)
"Electrons can only gain and lose energy by jumping from one allowed orbit to another
Orbit around what? :wink:

Likes DaveE, DrChinese and phinds
berkeman said:
Orbit around what? :wink:
But it is what the wiki says and how the textbook explains Bohr's theory, a classical theory. If you insist we should not invoke Bohr's theory, then I have no comment.

avicenna said:
But it is what the wiki says and how the textbook explains Bohr's theory, a classical theory. If you insist we should not invoke Bohr's theory, then I have no comment.
Say what? You seem to be misinterpreting the responses you've received in this thread, and misunderstanding the wiki article. The energy of the photon is absorbed by the system of the electron and the nucleus that it is bound to. That *system* is what can absorb that photon energy (given the right circumstances). It is not a free electron that is absorbing the energy.

Have any comments on that? :wink:

berkeman said:
Say what? You seem to be misinterpreting the responses you've received in this thread, and misunderstanding the wiki article. The energy of the photon is absorbed by the system of the electron and the nucleus that it is bound to. That *system* is what can absorb that photon energy (given the right circumstances). It is not a free electron that is absorbing the energy.

Have any comments on that? :wink:
Bohr's theory is clear about how an electron of an atom (nothing about free electrons) absorbs a photon; the electron goes to a higher energy state.

avicenna said:
Bohr's theory is clear about how an electron of an atom (nothing about free electrons) absorbs a photon; the electron goes to a higher energy state.
But the energy states aren't something the electron has on its own. In the Bohr model, the energy states correspond to different orbits around the nucleus. So it's the atom that absorbs the photon; the electron doesn't have "higher energy states" without being part of an atom.

Likes DaveE, Dale and berkeman
Ibix said:
But the energy states aren't something the electron has on its own. In the Bohr model, the energy states correspond to different orbits around the nucleus. So it's the atom that absorbs the photon; the electron doesn't have "higher energy states" without being part of an atom.
The electron's total energy (kinetic + potential ) increases by E = h f

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman
avicenna said:
If so, the nucleus doesn't change its state of motion because there's no energy to spare. Right?

Or it's possible that you are considering a model that is a bit too idealised (assuming the nucleus is effectively an infinite mass) to answer the question you are asking.

avicenna said:
What about conservation of momentum? When an atom emits a photon, it's the atom that recoils; not the electron.

Ibix said:
If so, the nucleus doesn't change its state of motion because there's no energy to spare. Right?

Or it's possible that you are considering a model that is a bit too idealised (assuming the nucleus is effectively an infinite mass) to answer the question you are asking.
The energy absorbed by the electron is E=hf; it is the increase in the total energy of the electron relative to the mass-center (kinetic+potential).

PeroK said:
What about conservation of momentum? When an atom emits a photon, it's the atom that recoils; not the electron.
Correct.

avicenna said:
The energy absorbed by the electron is E=hf; it is the increase in the total energy of the electron relative to the mass-center (kinetic+potential).
So where do you think the energy to start the atom moving (or change its state of motion) comes from?

avicenna said:

(Bohr's theory)
Bohr's theory is part of the old quantum theory and only works in special cases. Anyway, it's the atom, not the electron, that absorbs or emits radiation.

avicenna said:
I wouldn't say that the wording of the version of Bohr's theory that you remember is clear because that statement ignores the need for a photon to interact with the system. We have moved on from there to deal with many other forms of energy changes in quantum systems of charges.
There really is very little point in trying to resurrect early models and insist they must be correct.

avicenna said:
The potential energy belongs to the atom, not the electron. The electron doesn’t have potential energy in its own. The potential energy describes the relationship between the electron and the nucleus, which is the atom.

avicenna said:
the wiki
Is not a good source to be using, you should be looking at textbooks or peer-reviewed papers.

avicenna said:
(Bohr's theory)
Is an outdated model. You want to be looking at a modern treatment. There are many good textbooks that cover this material.

Likes dlgoff and Dale
avicenna said:
how the textbook
What textbook? The only specific source you've mentioned is Wikipedia.

avicenna said:
explains Bohr's theory, a classical theory.
No, Bohr's theory is not a classical theory. It was an early version (now outdated, as I have said) of quantum theory.

avicenna said:
If you insist we should not invoke Bohr's theory, then I have no comment.
Why would you want to use an outdated theory when there are good modern treatments of the same thing?

Dale said:
The potential energy belongs to the atom, not the electron. The electron doesn’t have potential energy in its own. The potential energy describes the relationship between the electron and the nucleus, which is the atom.
You set me thinking. I can't yet give you a proper reply now - probably later.

I have some observations to make relating to the solar system. You would then
say the earth does not have potential energy on its own, only the solar system
has potential energy. But in the real world, we calculate the system of the
earth and the sun only and its "approximation" seems to be good enough.

In Bohr's theory, there was only one electron of the hydrogen atom, so ok. In
many-electron atoms, you expect me to include potentials between electrons. Are
you not asking me to solve a n-body problem, n > 2,3,4...No one has yet solved
the 3-body problem

PeterDonis said:
What textbook? The only specific source you've mentioned is Wikipedia.No, Bohr's theory is not a classical theory. It was an early version (now outdated, as I have said) of quantum theory.Why would you want to use an outdated theory when there are good modern treatments of the same thing?
I only know Bohr's theory. Tell me if my reliance on it misled me into wrong conclusions.

avicenna said:
I only know Bohr's theory. Tell me if my reliance on it misled me into wrong conclusions.
As far as I can tell, you aren't even using Bohr's theory correctly. More generally, you don't seem to understand how potential energy works.

avicenna said:
You would then
say the earth does not have potential energy on its own, only the solar system
has potential energy. But in the real world, we calculate the system of the
earth and the sun only and its "approximation" seems to be good enough.
Sure, the Earth-Sun approximation works for many purposes. But you aren't even doing that. You're trying to make sense of the potential energy of just the Earth alone--that's what asking for the potential energy of the electron is analogous to.

avicenna said:
In
many-electron atoms, you expect me to include potentials between electrons
Nobody is asking you to do that. Everyone keeps telling you that the potential energy, even for a one-electron atom, is not a property of the electron. It's a property of the atom. That is, the electron-nucleus system. Analogous to the Earth-Sun system.

avicenna said:
No one has yet solved
the 3-body problem
Here you're talking classical physics. Atoms are not classical objects. They are quantum objects. For quantum objects we don't even have an exact general solution for the two- or even one-body problem. Indeed, in quantum field theory, where the vacuum state itself is complicated, we don't even have an exact solution for the zero-body problem. But none of that prevents us from constructing models that make accurate predictions, even if one has to use successive approximations to do it. The question is what approximations to use.

avicenna said:
You would then say the earth does not have potential energy on its own, only the solar system has potential energy.
Yes.

avicenna said:
But in the real world, we calculate the system of the earth and the sun only and its "approximation" seems to be good enough
Sure. Although you do have to specify the exact purpose for which a given approximation is considered good enough.

avicenna said:
you expect me to include potentials between electrons. Are
you not asking me to solve a n-body problem, n > 2,3,4...No one has yet solved
I am not expecting or asking either. I am simply telling you that the PE belongs to the atom, not the electron.

This is important because an electron has no internal structure so it cannot absorb a photon at all. It can only scatter the photon.

avicenna said:
You would then
say the earth does not have potential energy on its own,
Potential energy is always relative to some frame. It takes two to do the PE tango.

sophiecentaur said:
Potential energy is always relative to some frame. It takes two to do the PE tango.
It is just debating on semantics. An electron coming to a proton from infinity has PE = -K/r. Its total energy relative to proton (theory same for mass center ) T = PE + 1/2 mv², v is relative velocity to proton. The textbooks do identity "a potential energy of an electron".

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
avicenna said:
It is just debating on semantics. An electron coming to a proton from infinity has PE = -K/r. Its total energy relative to proton (theory same for mass center ) T = PE + 1/2 mv², v is relative velocity to proton. The textbooks do identity "a potential energy of an electron".
Your problem here is a matter of degree. For two equal masses and charges, neither mass 'has PE'. So where's the difference when it's an electron and a proton?
That is not semantics.

avicenna said:

(Bohr's theory)
Bohr's theory is outdated for 98 years now. To be honest, it never was a real theory, and it worked thanks to the shear luck of the large dynamical symmetries for the harmonic oscillator as well as the hydrogen atom. For almost everything else it failed dramatically. It even fails on very simple qualitative grounds: The hydrogen atom is not a little disk but a sphere in its ground state as the chemists well know.

Likes Dale
avicenna said:
It is just debating on semantics.
It actually isn’t. It has real experimental consequences. If the electron on its own had PE then a free electron could absorb a photon. But we experimentally see that electrons cannot absorb photons, they can only scatter them.

Atoms can absorb them because PE belongs to the atom, but not electrons because they don’t have PE on their own. Since your question is specifically about the absorption of a photon, not only is this distinction not merely semantics, it is directly relevant to the specific question you asked.

Likes vanhees71, sophiecentaur, hutchphd and 1 other person
avicenna said:
It is just debating on semantics.
No, it's not. An isolated electron is physically different from an electron in a bound system. Treating them as though they are the same does not work.

avicenna said:
The textbooks do identity "a potential energy of an electron".
Please give a specific reference, with context. I strongly suspect you will find that the context is an electron in a bound system with a proton or atomic nucleus, and that the context makes it clear that the potential energy is a property of the bound system, not the electron in isolation.

Please do not make further assertions along these lines without taking some time to read valid references carefully. This point has already been belabored too long in this thread.

Likes vanhees71, Lord Jestocost and Dale
PeterDonis said:
No, it's not. An isolated electron is physically different from an electron in a bound system. Treating them as though they are the same does not work.Please give a specific reference, with context. I strongly suspect you will find that the context is an electron in a bound system with a proton or atomic nucleus, and that the context makes it clear that the potential energy is a property of the bound system, not the electron in isolation.

Please do not make further assertions along these lines without taking some time to read valid references carefully. This point has already been belabored too long in this thread.
I have never ever said that an electron on its own can have potential energy. I only said it is a matter of semantics whether we associate the amount of energy to the electron or to tha atom(the system). The amount is the same!

From my physics textbook, pg 984:
... The further the electron is from the nucleus, the greater is its potential energy; or less negative is its potential energy.

http://labman.phys.utk.edu › modules › Electric potential

(Lecture 4: Electrostatic Potential, Electric Energy, eV, Conservative Field, Equipotential Surfaces)

http://labman.phys.utk.edu/phys222core/modules/m2/Electric potential.html#:~:text=The potential energy of the,energy and its potential energy.
Problem solving:
Reasoning:
The force on the electron is the Coulomb force between the proton and the electron. It pulls the electron towards the proton. For the electron to move in a circular orbit, the Coulomb force must equal the centripetal force. We need keqe2/r2 = mv2/r.

Details of the calculation:
mv2 = keqe2/r, so the kinetic energy of the electron is
KE(r) = ½mv2 = ½keqe2/r.
The potential energy of the electron in the field of the positive proton point charge is U(r) = -qeV(r) = - keqe2/r.
The total energy is the sum of the electron's kinetic energy and its potential energy.
KE(r) + PE(r) = -½keqe2/r = (-½) (9*109)(1.60*10-19) /(5.29*10-11) J = -2.18*10-18 J.

Do I need to make further clarifications?

• Skeptical
  • Haha
Likes berkeman and gentzen