1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the speed of a satellite

1. Apr 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A satellite is revolving round the earth at a height of 600 Km. Find the speed of the
    satellite and the time period of the satellite, if the radius of the earth is 6400 km, and
    mass of the earth = 6*10^24 kg.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well this is what i thought of till now...
    we need to work out the time it takes to get round the earth..

6400/600 = 10.6666 (recurring). so 10 hours?.....opps

another look
    velocity = distance /time...

is time = timeperiod... i'm confused .. lol help please

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why are you dividing the radius of the earth by the height of the satelite? Did you even think about what units you have?

What is the distance of the satellite from the center of the earth? What is the gravitational pull on the satellite at that height? What is the acceleration due to that pull? What angular speed does that correspond to?

4. Apr 5, 2008 #3
    distance between satellite and earth is 600m.... umm center of the earth is not given prbly 6400/2? tht's the question given... nothin else i mean abt gravitational pull , angular speed etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?