Calculate the speed with which the ball hits the ground

In summary, the ball is thrown vertically upwards with speed 10ms/s from a point 2m above horizontal ground. The equation used to calculate the displacement is v=u2+2as, and the answer is 11.8 meters.
discombobulated
I need some help with this mechanics question please,

A ball is thrown vertically upwards with speed 10ms/s from a point 2m above horizontal ground.
a) calculate the length of time for which the ball is 3m or more above the ground.
b) calculate the speed with which the ball hits the ground.

so..i think i have to use the equation s=ut + 1/2 at2
u= 10
a= -9.8
but I'm confused about s, should it be 2m or 3m?

Physics news on Phys.org
discombobulated, this is an Introductory Physics kind of problem, not a Precalculus Mathematics one. :)
but I'm confused about s, should it be 2m or 3m?
That's neither 2m nor 3m.
s=ut + 1/2 at2
This equation will return the displacement the object has travelled.
The u is the initial velocity of that object, t is the time the objevt has spent travelling, a is its acceleration.
Now, if the ball goes from 2m above the ground to 3m above the ground. What's its displacement? What's s?
Having s, u, a, you'll be able to find t, right?
From there, do you know how long does the ball is 3m or more above the ground?
Can you go from here?
Can you do part b?

Thanks, so s=1 then I worked out t = 1.82 by using the quadratic equation to solve and finding the difference.
I think i need to use v2 =u2+2as for part b, but which value of s should i use?
I tried 2m but then i got v=6.26 whichis wong as the correct answer is 11.8.

Last edited:
discombobulated said:
Thanks, so s=1 then I worked out t = 1.82 by using the quadratic equation to solve and finding the difference.
I think i need to use v2 =u2+2as for part b, but which value of s should i use?
I tried 2m but then i got v=6.26 whichis wong as the correct answer is 11.8.
The answer you got for a looks good. But don't forget to add the measure unit to t, it should read: t = 1.82 s, not just t = 1.82.
No s is not 2. Let's think about it. You choose a = g = -9.8 m / s2, which means the positive y is upward.
So from 2m above the ground, the ball flies up, reaches its highest point, then falls back down and finally reaches the ground. So from 2m above the ground, the ball finally reaches the ground, what's the displacement, is it positive 2m? Or what is it?
Can you go from here? :)

What is the equation for calculating speed?

The equation for calculating speed is speed = distance / time.

What information do I need to calculate the speed of a ball hitting the ground?

To calculate the speed of a ball hitting the ground, you will need to know the distance the ball falls and the time it takes to fall that distance.

How do I measure the distance the ball falls?

The distance the ball falls can be measured by using a ruler or measuring tape to determine the vertical distance from the starting point to the point where the ball hits the ground.

What units should I use when measuring distance and time?

When measuring the distance the ball falls, you should use units of meters (m). For time, you should use units of seconds (s).

What factors can affect the speed of a ball hitting the ground?

The speed of a ball hitting the ground can be affected by factors such as air resistance, the angle of the ball's trajectory, and the mass of the ball. These factors can alter the distance the ball falls and the time it takes to fall, ultimately affecting the calculated speed.