1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the terminal velocity from a displacement-time graph?

1. Nov 15, 2006 #1

Can someone please explain how I can calculate the terminal velocity from a displacement-time graph? I'm only finding solutions to velocity-time graphs, but that's not what I need.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the definition of terminal velocity?
  4. Nov 15, 2006 #3
    EDIT:removed... too much explaining
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  5. Nov 17, 2006 #4
    I understand terminal velocity to be the velocity reached by a falling body when it experiences zero acceleration... All I have is the displacement and time to work with and I know that the gradient of the graph will give me the velocity. I'm just confused if the value I'll get for the gradient is actually the terminal velocity I'm being asked for or not. When I've looked this up, I'm seeing other things about the mass, drag, density, etc. to get the terminal velocity. Since I wasn't given these values I'm thinking the most logical thing is to find the gradient, but this may be wrong. Any help would be really appreciated here.
  6. Nov 17, 2006 #5
    You know that terminal velocity is the maximum speed and it is constant. You know that velocity is the gradient. So why don't you try the maximum gradient that is constant.
  7. Nov 17, 2006 #6
    While accelerating, displacement is quadratic, velocity is linear, and acceleration is constant. At terminal velocity, displacement is linear, velocity is constant, and acceleration is zero. Find the slope where the graph becomes linear
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?