Calculate the wavelength of the n= 4 -> 3 transition in He

In summary, to calculate the wavelength of the n = 4 → 3 transition in 4He+ to an accuracy of 4 significant figures, you will need to modify the Rydberg formula to account for the nuclear charge of 2 for helium. This will result in a reduced mass of 3.99 times the mass of an electron, leading to a wavelength of 468.7 nm.
Flucky

Homework Statement

Calculate the wavelength of the n = 4 → 3 transition in 4He+ to an accuracy of 4 significant figures. (R∞=109 737 cm-1.) (Fine structure effects can be neglected.)

Homework Equations

[itex] \frac{1}{λ} = \frac{m}{m_e} R_∞ (\frac{1}{n_1^2} - \frac{1}{n_2^2})[/itex]

where λ is wavelength, m is the reduced mass, and [itex]R_∞[/itex] is Rydberg constant (1.1x105 cm-1)

[itex] m = m_e \frac{m_N}{m_e + m_N} [/itex]

where m is the reduced mass, [itex]m_e[/itex] is mass of an electron, and mN is the mass of the nucleus.

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to come out with a positive wavelength I set n1 to 3 and n2 to 4.

Now the problem I have is with the reduced mass, m. To try and make sense of it I did everything in SI units:

me = 9.11x10-31
mN = 2 protons + 2 neutrons = 2x(1.673x10-27 kg) + 2x(1.675x10-27 kg) = 6.696x10-27 kg

So that gives:

m = me x [itex]\frac{6.696x10^-27}{9.11x10-31 + 6.696x10^-27}[/itex] = 0.9999me

Plugging all the numbers in gives:

[itex]\frac{1}{λ}[/itex] = 5347 cm-1

∴ λ = 1.870x10-4 cm = 1.870x10-6 m = 1870 nmHowever the answer is 468.7 nm which means the reduced mass m should equal 3.99 me.

It's only a 1 mark question so I am obviously understanding it all wrong somewhere.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are dealing with helium and not hydrogen. Helium has a nuclear charge of 2. You need to take that into account in modifying your Rydberg formula.

Fightfish said:
You are dealing with helium and not hydrogen. Helium has a nuclear charge of 2. You need to take that into account in modifying your Rydberg formula.

I had no idea the equation would differ. Just looked up 'Rydberg formula' and a Z2 appears. Big thanks, I was beginning to pull my hair out.

1. What does the n=4 -> 3 transition in He mean?

The n=4 -> 3 transition refers to the movement of an electron in a helium atom from the energy level n=4 to the energy level n=3. This transition is accompanied by the emission or absorption of electromagnetic radiation, which has a specific wavelength.

2. Why is it important to calculate the wavelength of this transition?

Calculating the wavelength of the n=4 -> 3 transition in helium can provide valuable information about the energy levels and electronic structure of this atom. It can also be used to study the behavior of electrons in other atoms and molecules, and has practical applications in fields such as spectroscopy and laser technology.

3. How is the wavelength of the n=4 -> 3 transition in He calculated?

The wavelength of the n=4 -> 3 transition in helium can be calculated using the Rydberg formula, which is λ = R[1/n2 - 1/n2]. In this formula, R is the Rydberg constant (1.0968 x 107 m-1), and n represents the energy levels involved in the transition (n=4 and n=3 in this case).

4. What is the value of the wavelength of this transition?

Using the Rydberg formula, the wavelength of the n=4 -> 3 transition in helium can be calculated to be approximately 656.3 nanometers. This falls within the visible light range, specifically in the red part of the spectrum.

5. How is the n=4 -> 3 transition in He different from other transitions in this atom?

The n=4 -> 3 transition is unique to helium and is not observed in other elements. This is because the energy levels and electron configurations of each element are different, resulting in different possible transitions. Additionally, the wavelength of this transition is specific to helium and may differ from the wavelengths of transitions in other elements.