1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical/quantum transition for an ideal gas in 1m^3 box

1. Feb 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey guys,

So I have to estimate the temperature at which the classical / quantum transition happens for a 1m^3 box of air. This is done by comparing the de Broglie wavelength with the average distance between the particles - so basically the transition happens when they are comparable.

2. Relevant equations
    Average distance between the particles: [itex](\frac{V}{N})^{\frac{1}{3}}=n^{-\frac{1}{3}}[/itex] where n is the number density

de Broglie wavelength: [itex]\lambda = \frac{h}{\sqrt{2\pi m k T}}[/itex] where k is the boltzmann constant.

3. The attempt at a solution

Right, so here's what I did. Since the volume V = 1, we can say that
    [itex]N=n[/itex], using the distance between the particles equation.

We also know that [itex]pV=NkT=nkT[/itex] since n = N, so assuming standard pressure (since the question asks me to estimate), we can say that [itex]n=\frac{10^{5}}{kT}[/itex].

The transition happens when [itex]\lambda ≈ n^{-\frac{1}{3}}[/itex]. So replacing λ with our expression for n, we get this
    [itex]\frac{h}{\sqrt{2\pi m k T}}=(\frac{10^{5}}{kT})^{-\frac{1}{3}}[/itex]

Using the approximation that the mass m of air is around 30 kg / mol, the mass of one air molecule is around 5 x 10-23kg. Plugging that in and solving for T gives me

[itex]T≈5.6\times 10^{-4}K[/itex], which seems wrong for some reason..

Can you guys help me out? thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

kg??

4. Feb 18, 2014 #3
    is that wrong? i just divided 30 by avogadro's number o.o

5. Feb 18, 2014 #4
    oh wait i think its 5 x 10^-26 kg...its 30 g/mol not 30kg/mol XD

6. Feb 18, 2014 #5
    So after that correction i get 0.035 K...is that better?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted