1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating a calibration factor for velocity between Volts and m/s

1. Nov 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, i have to calculate a calibration factor to change a measurement for velocity in volts from a vibration test rig into a measurement of velocity in m/s.

2. Relevant equations

I have data for velocity in volts and i am using the equation v=x'=awcos(wt) to calculate the velocity in m/s... however I can't find a CF for these two values...

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried some simple ideas... like the difference between them, however this is not constant over time. I tried the ratio between them but again this is not constant as the time changes. I tried both of these multiplied and divided by time...

Has anyone got any ideas or is there a general concept for calculating a calibration factor i have overlooked?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2009 #2
    I have EXACTLY the same problem. I am given a dataset (A) of velocities in volts. I also have a dataset of displacements at time intervals of 1ms over a time period of 2s, giving 2000 readings.

Since:
    x=asin(wt)
    v=x'=awcos(wt)

I thought that I could use the fact that

x * (w/tan(wt)) = awcos(wt) = v

to generate a dataset (B) of velocities in m/s, then I should be able to find the calibration factor, CF using:

CF = (Dataset B)/(Dataset A)

HOWEVER, when I plot the velocities in m/s against time in s, the graph I get is a tan wave, but it should be a sin wave. This is extremely frustrating! Someone please help!

4. Nov 19, 2009 #3
    I have since solved my problem this is what i used.

The recorded velocity was given in volts and the velocity needs to be in m/s, a calibration factor can be determined to change the velocity from volts into m/s. The velocity in volts and in m/s has the same frequency, same sinusoidal wave but a different amplitude, so the calibration factor can be determined using equation 7.
    Calibration Factor=aωcosωt/(V_max cosωt) (7)
    This can be simplified to equation 8.
    Calibration Factor=aω/V_max (8)

Multiplying a value of velocity recorded in voltage by this calibration factor will return a velocity in m/s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook